Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #1

Share |

Sinking Footing

Bought a house, so please no "Run, run run!" but I guess you can if you really want. I can fix this place up and throw some money at it (especially considering the price I got it for compared to other places I was looking at).

Previous owner either out of neglect or just not knowing, probably the second one, left a broken eavesdrop at one corner of the house. On top of that is a flat spot at the basement entrance with not drainage. This resulted in the corner footing getting too wet which led to some sinking and some cracking in the foundation.

My first question, once I handle the water problem and direct it away from the house is that most of the problem solved? It makes sense to me because it won't be going through such a rough freeze every winter and the soil around it can stop degrading away.

Second question, how big should I make the footing? I also figure I mine as well pour the new footing outside since I'll be digging up to replace the weeping tile anyway. Wondering if anyone here would suggest jack hammering the inside out, pouring the footing there and building a block wall there which would result in a slight loss of room area. That's just something I read somewhere else.

Wirepuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #2

Sinking Footing

Hmm, think you could post some pictures?

Sure sounds like someones going to have to be on site to look at this one.
If the foundations bad the rest of the house will soon follow.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #3

Sinking Footing

I can get pictures later. The foundation is in good shape, no leaks in the basement. It's the one corner that got neglected that is looking shabby. As for the soil underneath, that will be under control when the drainage issue is solved. Water that sunk down isn't going to be there forever in a puddle.

Everyone loves to cry out "get an engineer", an engineer will **** up plenty. Just like a contractor might. And both are going to want big bucks for what could be an easy enough fix. That's why I'm looking to get educated and see if anyone else has done this as well. And hey if this doesn't work and over time I see the patches on those cracks open up or new cracks I'll call everyone in town and get it fixed.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Sinking Footing

I hate to say it, as I certainly don't fit into the camp that says you always have to call an engineer for everything, but in this situation, I always get at least a structural engineer involved who's main line of work for the last 20+ years in in foundation remediation. Oftentimes, he'll suggest getting a soil engineer in as well to evaluate the bearing capacities of the soil. Foundations don't just simply settle from being exposed to high volumes of water, there's more to this. If you can afford to make these repairs more than once, I think you'd be OK with the "seat of the pants" approach though.............................
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #5

Sinking Footing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
I hate to say it, as I certainly don't fit into the camp that says you always have to call an engineer for everything, but in this situation, I always get at least a structural engineer involved who's main line of work for the last 20+ years in in foundation remediation. Oftentimes, he'll suggest getting a soil engineer in as well to evaluate the bearing capacities of the soil. Foundations don't just simply settle from being exposed to high volumes of water, there's more to this. If you can afford to make these repairs more than once, I think you'd be OK with the "seat of the pants" approach though.............................
I understand what you're saying I really do and I'll look into it. I already had a home inspector there, $400. The house is 82 years old, the foundation has been doing its job fine until that one corner took a beating. Repair the flow of water, add a new footing. Can someone take a shot at my question about the size of the footing though?

I will post pictures later.