Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #1

Share |

Sidewalk Repair Question

I'm taking over a building in Brooklyn and the sidewalk is in lousy shape. It has a lot of cracks, grass growing through some parts, and potholes in some parts. I don't have any prior experience owning buildings and recently learned fixing it is my responsibility. I used servicemagic for some names and these guys all want to replace the whole sidewalk which is great for them but expensive and likely unnecessary for me.

There are currently no violations. I'm wondering if anyone out there has advice on where to find someone honest, and what is the most reasonable thing to do. I'm thinking they should replace only the squares that are creating a trip and fall hazard, and just patch the cracks everywhere else. Does that make sense? Should I bother with a permit or will that just get me inspected unnecessarily? Is it worth paying for someone licensed and insured? Also, is $7 per square foot reasonable, and should that include ALL expenses (labor, waste removal, concrete, etc.?) I keep getting quotes up to $25 sq. ft. excluding all kinds of stuff.

Any help is appreciated. I know nothing about this.

america2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #2

Sidewalk Repair Question

Post some pictures so we can see how bad it is.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Sidewalk Repair Question

If the sidewalk is in the common area, where the city claims it as right away, I would contact them. Most cities will ask building owners to chip in the cost for materials, and they supply the labor.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #4

Sidewalk Repair Question

Under NYC law the city has nothing to do with repairing the sidewalk. I'll post some photos or a video tomorrow...
Old 10-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Sidewalk Repair Question

If it is in the right of way, it is their job to maintain it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #6

Sidewalk Repair Question

Yup,they maintain them here and most everywhere else i know of.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Sidewalk Repair Question

You need to be bonded, licensed, and permitted to replace public right-of-way sidewalks in every municipality here. In a city that's heavy-handed enough that they feel they should control your soft-drink consumption, logic tells me you'll need to meet all of these requirements there............

I can't think of much to improve the existing walk w/o a minimum of a picture or two........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #8

Sidewalk Repair Question

Looks like the sidewalk hasn't been repaired in decades. Maybe not since the 1950's. The unanimous opinion seems to be the entire thing needs to be changed. I feel like an idiot spending almost $10,000 to rebuild the darn sidewalk, which I feel is clearly the city's responsibility. Oh well, cost of doing business I guess. Thank you all for your help.