Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Shower Curb

Hello All

So a couple years ago our shower head decided to leak behind the all in one stall. I pulled out the stall and built a concrete pan per HomeDepot guy and tiled the shower. Well a few weeks ago I noticed that the floor out side the shower looked like it was wet.

I followed the wet stain to the top of the shower curb where the grout looked cracked and bad. I proceeded to remove all the old tile and clean things up. I noticed that the curb was no longer level/square.

I have put on new 1/4" front facing concrete board, but how do I level out the top and inside of the shower part of curb? I did get a blade for the angle grinder and got the inside pretty much level, which I figure I can level out the rest of the way with the readyset mastic adhesive. But the top part of the curb is suppose to ever so slightly angle in toward the shower and be completely level across. I am not sure if the readyset will level that out or not as there is a pretty big gap on the side where the leak originated. ( when I pulled out the old tile part of the top part of the curb came out with the tile.)

Best advice? What can I do?

Thanks
ed

erose54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,462

Shower Curb

More info please--

How is the pan built? what is the curb made of ?

Is there a waterproof liner under the concrete pan and over the curb?

Is the surface of the concrete covered with a waterproof membrane?
Pictures help--I'm thinking the whole pan and curb are done--we will see--Mike---

Old 05-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Shower Curb

I used regular 1/2 plywood on the bottom of the shower and used 2 pressure treated 2x4 to form the curb with 1/4" concrete board on the inside edge as well as the outside edge of the curb. I then used red guard to create a liner. The red guard was first thin enough to paint on the entire surface of the bottom of the shower area and then two separate thick layers were applied using 5/32" trowel. I troweled one layer parallel with the curb and the other layer perpendicular to the curb. The red guard covered from the top of the curb all the way down into the bottom of the shower and about 4" up shower walls. I then poured regular concrete to form the pan. I only formed about 1/2" thick layer of concrete for the inside part of the curb and the top part of the curb.

So again this was about 1 or 1 1/2 years ago and it just recently started leaking. The only part that is visible now would be the curb where I pulled off all the tile. But I will get some pictures posted.
erose54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:11 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,462

Shower Curb

What sort of drain system?

Water will always work its way through the concrete and tile and settle onto the pan--there it should hit another drain so the pan does not fill with water.

I believe you will need to remove that pan and start over.