Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2013, 03:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Should I Be Worried?

I'm having my attached garage replaced. My house was built in 1921 and in 1938 an attached garage was added.

Problem is it was too small to fit a car and the building was pulling away from the house because no concrete footers where used.

Just wood on ground. Lots of dry and wet rot. In the end it was cheaper to replace the whole garage than repair it.
Problem - when excravating for the new foundation the excravator seems to have hit into my home's stone foundation (I didn't see him do it) and now there is a huge whole where the foundation once was. My foundation is a stone foundation (like cobblestone) with bluestone slabs over that. The contractor doesn't seemed to be concerned and neither did the building inspector who came to examine the first set of footings.

The contractor has a wood form placed around the area and told me that the hole will be filled with concrete and the bluestone replaced over that.
Questions - doesn't concrete shrink? Shouldn't the wall be rebuilt with stone? I'm panicking here because this is near the area where my sewer line runs out ( a few feet away).
I didn't think to take pictures but will tomorrow. Anyone have any idea about this? Thanks for any info you can offer.

anamandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,878

Should I Be Worried?

I moved this to 'concrete and masonry' for you---

A picture would get you the best answer,but I think your contractor has a safe and proper plan---concrete shrinks very little---Mike----

Old 10-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

Should I Be Worried?

I'd want that done in a hurry and have the repair work signed off by local code enforcement.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #4

Should I Be Worried?

Thanks guys. I guess this is the first repair. I came home from work today and this was what was done (so far?). I can't imagine the guy leaving it like this and expecting it to support the house especially with that big gap. Since the gap is so narrow (and deep) I wonder how he is going to get concrete in there. Should I call in a professional mason? It looks like the foundation is in need of pointing up anyway. My contractor was supposed to point up the foundation as part of the job but he's been so busy with building the garage that he hasn't got around to it yet. BTW - since this is going to be an attached garage the wall where the hole is will be fireproofed. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Should I Be Worried?-foundation-hole.jpg

Should I Be Worried?-foundation-hole-2.jpg
Old 10-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,878

Should I Be Worried?

That is rather standard practice,I believe--the gap will be filled with wood and shimmed to provide support---

Did you ask how the contractor plans to finish off the repair?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #6

Should I Be Worried?

I spoke to him today and he said exactly that. Pressure treated wood and insulation will fill the void. The sill plate is much higher and there is several layers of stone still attached to the bottom of that. There should be no problem. Thanks for setting my mind at ease.
The Following User Says Thank You to anamandy For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-25-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 79

Should I Be Worried?

I don't know how water tight the rest of your rubble (stone) foundation is, but I would be concerned about any gaps created between the rocks by the nearby digging.

We have had to replace sections of stone foundation due to failure and it has taken several callbacks to find all the gaps created and stop the water from coming in. Rock foundations $$$k!

Last edited by MaineLL; 10-27-2013 at 07:23 PM.
MaineLL is online now   Reply With Quote