Should I Seal Now Or Wait?? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 91

Should I seal now or wait??

Hey guys

I just had a new foundation and basement foundation and floor poured for my cottage which is going to be set on top of and supported by 3 jack posts. Right now the 4 foundation walls
And the floor are exposed. Should I seal the floor now or wait until the jack posts and cottage are located??

Can someone recommend a good sealer? I am in Ontario Canada, the basement will be heated, but, only when I am there, so it will freeze and thaw during the seasons.

Thanks!
Michael

Advertisement

n2omichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,472

seal what & why ? we normally don't seal conc other than exterior waterproofing which should be a MUST ! ! be sure to incl a proper toe drain

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #3

Seal the basement floor, I plan on painting it and wasn't sure if there was a sealer/Primer I should apply while everything was open exposed
Old 07-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Concrete will continue to cure and develop new porosity (in the future) that cannot be sealed in the present. In your climate this will continue for easily ten years. The chemical stability of the concrete surface is also a long-term variable, starting with fresh concrete. This will affect not only issues related to porosity but to the chemical adhesion of whatever (if any) product you may choose to apply.

I have no pat answer for you, but many are disappointed with the long-term adhesion of coatings on new concrete. You should have some understanding about this with whomever might supply your paint.
Pro Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #5

before you do anything, conduct a simple moisture test to be certain there's not moisture coming up THRU the conc,,, this is most commonly prevented by the installation of a vapor barrier under the conc.

there's no paint that's traffic-resistant impo,,, painting conc is never a good choice,,, yet coatings are different & the right material will deliver years of excellent svce.

Last edited by stadry; 07-29-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #6

What coating would you recommend? Providing the moisture test is ok
Old 08-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #7

cleaning out part of the backroom & found a partial 5g can of ' concrete protector ' by consolideck,,, we had used it to seal conc,,, sorry,,, had forgotten all about it,,, great stuff - no financial interest only comes in 5's & 55's tho
Old 08-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #8

Cool will check it out, Thanks!

Advertisement