Should I Power Wash Brick On House? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 147

Should I Power Wash Brick on House?

Recently bought a house built in 1960 with a partial brick facade - the rest is cedar paneling.

The house across the street was built by the same builder in the same year and is a mirror image to mine.

Their brick looks very clean and like new however mine looks old and dirty.

So I'm wondering how to make my brick look better and considering power washing.

Before I do I want to be sure that I won't ruin the brick/mortar by doing so.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Marc

Advertisement

marcus118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

You should be fine. Just don't get too close or use a tip that is too concentrated. Standard fan tip should work. Back off if you see pieces of mortar flying off. I'd also do it in the morning with a couple of dry days ahead just to maximize drying potential in case some water gets into the wall assembly.

Advertisement

AtticFoil.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Look at the mortar first and touch it. If it looks solid and doesn't crumble to the touch you should be fine. If it crumbles and falls out when you touch it or it is disintegrated or missing in some areas, power washing will probably take it right out of the joints.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticFoil.com View Post
You should be fine. Just don't get too close or use a tip that is too concentrated. Standard fan tip should work. Back off if you see pieces of mortar flying off. I'd also do it in the morning with a couple of dry days ahead just to maximize drying potential in case some water gets into the wall assembly.
This would be my major concern with power washing as well. Brick veneer is anything BUT waterproof, driving the moisture into the brick in hot weather can easily result in that same water turning to vapor as the hot sun hits it, and ultimately driving it into the cavity behind the wall. Without a decent air space and weep system (fairly unlikely for that era home) it has a good chance of saturating the wood sheating if there's no decent WRB in place behind the brick......
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brick , clean