Should I Even Consider Pouring My Own Patio? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 528

Should I even consider pouring my own patio?

Abridged story: we want a large patio off the back of our house, about 550 sqft based on the original design. Due to the problems some of our neighbors have had with paver blocks heaving and shifting over time, I'm a little un-sold on their benefits.

I looked into stamped concrete, and the price of this patio is going to set me back more than an addition on my house. Downsizing the patio is probably going to happen.

I have never done concrete work beyond setting a pole in the ground. Is this the sort of thing I should even be considering doing myself? I've done paver blocks in the past, and understand the importance of a good base, but am a little timid about whether or not the finish work would turn out alright. My wife is sold that we can do it ourselves because her father made a garden path using those Quickrete WalkMate forms. "How hard can it be?" - she says.

Advertisement

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
Rob

Rewards Points: 550

I think you could do it yourselves if you could get two carpenters and to masons to help you.

Another suggestion would be to watch a lot of YouTube videos on how to put down a good concrete base in your area. Then form a grid pattern(checker board) and pour one square at a time. You would have to pour all the red first and then strip the forms except for the perimeter and then pour the white.
Should I even consider pouring my own patio?-checker.pngsquares.

Advertisement

Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robpo For This Useful Post:
hyunelan2 (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,634

The original 550 sq. ft. design at 4" thick would require about 258 bags of 80#/bag of Quickcrete.

"How hard can it be?" - she says. Take her to the home center and have her load 10 bags and then un-load them because you decided you didn't want them. Then tell her for the original plan it would require 258 bags and this would be the easy part. Preparation is worse. My back hurts thinking about it.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-15-2014), hyunelan2 (04-14-2014), Nailbags (04-16-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,484

That's almost 7 yards of concrete. I would not even consider mixing that myself. Order a truck.

If you have never done concrete before then hire it out. this is too large a project to mess up on a first attempt.

I would not do the block method. That is the same as patio stones except you are making them yourself.
hyunelan2 (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
Rob

Last time I was at Home depot it was $1.99 a bag. I thought it was a mistake but it wasn't. Not that I am trying to encourage you. Going by Fairview's calculations that would be 10-12 bags a day. 5'x5' 25'x25' you could be done in 25 days.

Last edited by Robpo; 04-14-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,458

2sf per bag @ 4" = 225b + - that's not the worst job in the world - about 7cy ( 6.79cy ),,, does your wife's ' we ' include HER ? ? ?

there's a decent book avail in apron/vest stores that should be a great help to you both
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
Abridged story: we want a large patio off the back of our house, about 550 sqft based on the original design. Due to the problems some of our neighbors have had with paver blocks heaving and shifting over time, I'm a little un-sold on their benefits.

I looked into stamped concrete, and the price of this patio is going to set me back more than an addition on my house. Downsizing the patio is probably going to happen.

I have never done concrete work beyond setting a pole in the ground. Is this the sort of thing I should even be considering doing myself? I've done paver blocks in the past, and understand the importance of a good base, but am a little timid about whether or not the finish work would turn out alright. My wife is sold that we can do it ourselves because her father made a garden path using those Quickrete WalkMate forms. "How hard can it be?" - she says.

Making a garden path with the aforementioned forms, and finishing 550 sq. feet of patio are two different things, all depends on what kind of finish you want on the patio, either way you WILL need help in placement, then strike off, jitter bug, bull float, edge and joint, then broom, if you want a troweled finish figure at least two guy's that have done this before, otherwise forget it.

7 cu. yds. of concrete is nothing to trifle with, especially if you've never done this before.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
hyunelan2 (04-14-2014), kwikfishron (04-14-2014), MTN REMODEL LLC (04-14-2014), Nailbags (04-16-2014), oh'mike (04-15-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,458

woody's right yet this could be a diy job IF you take your time & place 50b per w/e

IF i were doing this, we'd prep the total area then form 1 section at a time,,, place & finish that 1 then move to another,,, time you're done, you'll have finished in a checkerboard fashion much as we paved airport aprons 1 lane @ a time - form 1 lane, pave it, strip forms, skip a lane, form & pave til its done,,, when its time to pave the skips, its just easier

IF you decide to do it all @ once, its a daunting task calling for experienced help that can work as a team
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
woody's right yet this could be a diy job IF you take your time & place 50b per w/e

IF i were doing this, we'd prep the total area then form 1 section at a time,,, place & finish that 1 then move to another,,, time you're done, you'll have finished in a checkerboard fashion much as we paved airport aprons 1 lane @ a time - form 1 lane, pave it, strip forms, skip a lane, form & pave til its done,,, when its time to pave the skips, its just easier

IF you decide to do it all @ once, its a daunting task calling for experienced help that can work as a team

Trouble with this approach is, you have to go the mixer route and it seems like forever before your done, also use raw materials or do the premixed bag bit which will entail some lifting if your up to it.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #10
Rob

http://www.quikrete.com/calculator/main.asp
I calculated the footage on this calculator and it was 351 bags for a 25'x25'x4" slab.

Last edited by Robpo; 04-14-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,218

I've done 400 sq feet in a basement alone, all from sack concrete (didn't want to pay for a pump truck and a couple of finishers.)

Did it in four mix/pours.... did it over 4 days total, over several weeks,(not counting my prep time.).

Used remesh and rebar to tie everything together.

My son and I got over 200 bags down there over several days... We could get a truck close to an outside exit.

I have my own little 2 bag mixer.

I would just keep mixing, pouring, screeding, finishing and back again.... keeping an unset section in front of me.

I'm a GC, not a concrete pro.... but it can be done if you get organized and are strong enough to handle many 80 bags, and have the time.

This was my own home... and I just did it when I had free time. Each day pouring, probably took 4-5 hours working alone. But I was organized, with concrete sack next to my mixer and wood( or the poured concrete after the first pour) so I could just move my mixer along and dump.

Just kind of repitive work.......

Good luck
Old 04-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
The original 550 sq. ft. design at 4" thick would require about 258 bags of 80#/bag of Quickcrete.

"How hard can it be?" - she says. Take her to the home center and have her load 10 bags and then un-load them because you decided you didn't want them. Then tell her for the original plan it would require 258 bags and this would be the easy part. Preparation is worse. My back hurts thinking about it.
My wife would walk the bags out to the truck and give me a funny look when I asked her why she didn't drive to the door.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Did it in four mix/pours.... did it over 4 days total, over several weeks,(not counting my prep time.).
Doing the job over 4 days, how did you handle the joint with the previous day's work? Did you put a 2X across for each section, and then use the joint as a control joint?
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robpo View Post
My wife would walk the bags out to the truck and give me a funny look when I asked her why she didn't drive to the door.
Just hope she never sees this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #15
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post

Personally, I'm not big fan of drylaid pavers over gravel, but if they're heaving or shifting substantially in the first few years, there's underlying issues. More often than not, they weren't installed correctly. Pavers aare FAR easier for a DIY'er to succeed with.......

Are you considering doing a stamped concrete patio yourself??? If so, I would highly recommend you save your money (and marriage) and either hire the job out, or come up with a plan B.

And don't think for a minute that you can use non-air-entrained bagged concrete in a Chicago climate.............

Advertisement

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
Oso954 (04-17-2014)