Self Leveling Concrete For Screened Patio - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Self Leveling Concrete For Screened Patio

Howdy!

So I am a first time home owner with about zero experience, so apologies for any dumb questions!

I have a screened in patio that the previous owner did a DIY tile job on. The home inspector pointed out how it was done incorrectly and showed me where large section have released from the slab. In addition it has a negative slope towards the home, so if there was a wicked rain it could potentially flood the living room.

I am interested in pulling up the tile and just having a concrete surface out there. Are there any self leveling concrete options that I could use as the primary surface (not an underlayment) here? While it is a covered and screened patio, it is exposed to the elements. At least more so than inside. I have been searching online and found Ardex K301 which looks promising, though I am curious if there are other options.

If something like the above would work, here is an annoying list of noob questions.

Can it be colored somehow?

Would it require some sort of sealant?

Would I need to do moisture tests once the tile is removed? (the slab is pretty old)

The patio exits to a pool, would people dripping chlorinated water make this an unsuitable solution?

Apologies for the game of 20 questions, I just want to make sure I do this right so it doesn't end up like the tile job that preceded it!

Advertisement

Last edited by Box Jockey; 03-31-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Box Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,212

No self leveling compound that I know of will work as a finished surface----they are just to soft to act as a wear layer---

I'm going to move this to concrete and masonry--the cement finishers might have a product--

also a picture might help----

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #3

Apologies for putting this in the wrong place, and apologies for the crappy picture. I can get some better ones when I get back that show what is under some of the tile I already pulled up and an overall better view of the porch. Thank you for your fast response!

I take that back, I tried saving the photo with a lower quality setting in Photoshop, but at its lowest setting it is still to large to meet the attachment size requirements. I will post once I have it hosted on the web somewhere.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
DIY staff

We will be here----You did put the thread in the logical spot--'flooring'

However,I thought that the concrete guys might have the best solution for you---
good luck with the pictures, I find the process frustrating---
Old 03-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,650

You might try checking with a ready mix company for availability of a self leveling epoxy grout. They would probably recommend the surface be chipped but that also may be advantageous for the incorrect slope problem. Large industrial equipment is often grouted in after being set and the crank shaft alignment is correct.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Box Jockey (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,462

no apologies nec - we're all ignorant about something - just look at the fine folks who voted for obama probably the best example there is

1st off, NO epoxy grouts on exterior slabs,,, the avail of uv-resist epoxy's still young & not well time-test'd,,, redi-mix plants MIGHT be s source IF your next-door-n'bor runs the plant,,, other'n that, most plants don' wanna hear from h/o's,,, self-level stuff's out, too - too soft & damn'd difficult for the avg h/o - diy'er to lay down correctly.

1st, get the tile off there - we use bosch chipping guns ( hammer drills w/selector modes ) & 2" chisel bits to remove tile,,, we then regrade w/scarifiers to provide proper drainage,,, next comes acid wash, neutralization, & application of base layer of polymer-modified conc w/silicon carbide aggregate ( hi abrasion resistance, less than 1/8" thickness, flexible, hi compressive strength ( typ 5,600psi ), & high bonding strength,,, yes it can be colored,,, there's other stuff to consider - nec reprs, crk repr, jnt pattern, spalls, etc - but i want to leave room for other responders

there are various levels of texture available from 3/8" thin-stamped to 1/4" etruscan trowel & sealers are avail to enhance color,,, elitecrete was the mtl we used for over 20yrs & never had trouble w/any of the system.

diy stuff i wouldn't recommend &, unless you want trouble, stay out of the apron/vest stores

Last edited by stadry; 04-01-2013 at 07:18 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
Box Jockey (04-01-2013), oh'mike (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,164

Ardex 301 is an underlayment,and not suitable as a wear surface.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
Box Jockey (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #8

Thank you for the replies and the clarification on the Ardex product!!

Well looks like I shot myself in the foot on this one. I was hoping there was something I could pull off reasonably well on my own as I am trying to save some cash to have my pool resurfaced. Guess I should have left the tile alone a while longer.

Quick question, though if this violates forum rules then please disregard. What would you ball park for this work? The patio is roughly 230 square feet. Like I said I am a noob here so I don't know if that is against the rules, but I want to get an idea what needs to come out of the pool budget.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,462

don't fret,,, perhaps your aim's lousy,,, price is a fleeting thing,,, better 1 should worry about longevity & real value rather'n a low $$,,, 'sides, since you've not post'd your location, no 1 knows where you are,,, obviously prices're different 'tween manhattan & e-bum-****,,, did you google up decorative conc / conc repair / elitecrete yet ?

w/o actually seeing the site, we wouldn't hazard a w-a-g under $ 12 - $ 13 sf from demo to final seal coats
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
Box Jockey (04-02-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #10

Totally not thinking straight! Dallas Fortworth area here. And I am with you on longevity. I didn't mean to imply I am looking for a cheap shoddy job, just want to get an idea of the budget impact. Haven't sourced any pros yet as I am away on business, but will do so when I get back. Now in the interest of saving money and not sacrificing quality, is it possible to do initial demo work myself (getting the tile out of there) or would the benefits of that be negligible?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
DIY staff

Demoing the tile will save you a bit-----and will allow the concrete finisher a chance to see the true condition of the surface---instead of guessing and figuring the worst case scenario---

So yes---peal up that old tile-----
Box Jockey (04-02-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #12

And for my next annoying question!

So just with a rough estimate, that is roughly 60% of what the pool will cost. This being my first summer in the home, I would rather have the pool than the patio to get to the pool. Would pulling the tile up now and exposing the slab be a bad idea if I don't schedule the work immediately? I am guessing that exposing it to the elements is not smart which would not be the first dumb thing I have done so far!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #13
DIY staff

It is a quick job----so leave it alone for now----why walk on a rough messy surface longer than you need-----

No harm will be done, however, that concrete is designed to be exposed to the elements----
Box Jockey (04-02-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #14

Copy that, thanks for all the info!
The Following User Says Thank You to Box Jockey For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-01-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #15

Ok, just a thought so let me know if I am going the wrong direction. Do you think using a self leveling underlayment and then putting new tile in is something a DIY'er could pull off in a situation like this, or am I missing the bigger picture here?

Advertisement