Seepage Via High Water Table? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 271

Seepage via high water table?

After a huge accumulation of snow fall this winter and very quick melt over a few days, I am seeing a dampness on the bottom couple inches of my foundation wall. Even where the garage borders the house. Other than a couple of spots higher up where I am pretty sure it is from grading I need to fix, it seems like most of the seepage is all at the bottom few inches of the foundation wall. Could this be from a higher than adv water table? I am not seeing any flooding and the relative humidity is around 50%. I have a floating slab and I am pretty sure I have a drain tile running around the border. I don't have a sump pump. I think the drain tile might be tied to the storm drain system as I have a floor drain in the basement that was loudly venting a lot of air when we had a huge cloud burst over loaded the street's storm drains and.

I am wanting to refinish the basement again, after the last guy put up a poly vapor barrier then penetrated by attaching furring strips to it. He also had the poly setup so it pooled water and caused rot and mold.

-Solarity

Advertisement

Solaritu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,206

IF there ever were a dampproofing material applied to the foundation/bsmt walls, its failed & wtr's collecting @ the btm of the wall then soaking thru the bsmt wall/fnd junction,,, absent retro application of a proper waterproofing coat, etc,your best bet's an interior sub-floor perimeter drain system incl sump & pump

without remediation, it will continually get worse as wtr leaks rarely heal themselves or, at least, they never did in binghamton

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
IF there ever were a dampproofing material applied to the foundation/bsmt walls, its failed & wtr's collecting @ the btm of the wall then soaking thru the bsmt wall/fnd junction,,, absent retro application of a proper waterproofing coat, etc,your best bet's an interior sub-floor perimeter drain system incl sump & pump

without remediation, it will continually get worse as wtr leaks rarely heal themselves or, at least, they never did in binghamton
I do have an interior sub-floor perimeter drain. I can't visibly see it is there is a lot of gravel in the floating slab crack around the perimeter. We are not getting any water on the slab, just some moister on some parts of the bottom of the foundation wall and that only occurs during heavy rains that last a week or big snow melts.

A few other neighbors and myself don't have sump pumps, but some others do on lower elevations. These houses are all carbon copies. I am thinking that the perimeter drain goes directly into the storm drains. My neighbor who has the sump pump does have a perimeter drain that goes into his sump. I think I am at least a few feet higher than his house in elevation.

My thought is when we have high amounts of rain or a big melt this causes the water table to rise. As I have pref drain and it drains into the storm sewer that is why I never get flooded and why the floor is never damp or wet. I am wondering if the dampness I am seeing is where the water table is and it is draining into the pref-drain. I don't think it is economically viable to turn my basement into a reverse bathtub, as I am seeing it along my garage wall. So I am wondering if my current system is handling everything properly and am I properly understanding the concept.

I do see some a couple wet marks higher up and I think I can address it via better grading in some areas. I addressed a bigger problem that the previous owner left me. I just want to have my ducks in a row, before I attempt to refinish the basement. According to my local code I need to have a poly barrier, insulation, and treated lumber for the floor plate.

Last edited by Solaritu; 03-24-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Solaritu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,206

then i'd suggest basf's masterseal 500
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote