Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

Second cover on concrete?

I hired a couple of guys to pour cement in a new 10'x16'x5" garage ramp.

I have back problems so did not help with the project. I did frame and place expansion joint material along the garage door opening and positioned a gravel bed a rebar in preparation for the pour.

The two men poured the cement and floated it. When I went to look at it they had screeded the cement on the expansion material leaving the finished ramp almost an inch low and points where the rebar was actually showing.

Can I do another pour over the top of the first one? Will I need to do anything to prepare the surface for a second pour? Can I expect the ramp to hold up okay if I do a second pour over the first one?

DAlnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,020

Got a picture?
Not likly going to work out the way your suggesting.
What was there reason for not doing it right?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 504

The short answer is "no." It'll never adhere properly, 1" is much too thin for concrete not to crack anyway.

You say you hired these guys, are they part of a business, or are they day laborers? If its the latter, you're out of luck. If the former, you better call them back to fix their mistake.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,146

there is a longer answer & its ' Yes ! ' i expect those guys got paid & they're gone, right ? even if they're still in biz, you've got as much chance of success having them return to fix this as seeing romney become sec of the treasury

rather than take up too much bandwidth, call a decorative conc artisan - he can properly repair this w/polymer-modified concrete,,, he can't do much about the steel's ACI-recommended 'cover' but that's your fault for not setting rebar correctly.

all you can do now is make a poor job better,,, if you skimp on the proper repairs, you deserve lousy work
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote