Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Sealing up the fireplace from inside the house

I've got stink bugs coming down through the chimney, out the fireplace, and into the house. I'll get the chimney capped off soon. But first, I need to seal off the fireplace opening so they stop getting into the house. What type of tape would you recommend using? I'll put plastic around the fireplace opening and then seal it with tape to the fireplace brick, but I don't want to use a tape that will forever mark up the brick (either leave adhesive or change its color). Any ideas?

proofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #2

I would just start a nice fire and/or seal it up at the top.

pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Have you consulted an exterminator?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I haven't done anything except for sealing up the fireplace opening to stop them from getting into the house. I wanted to wait and see what happens. Now I'm getting only a couple of stink bugs a day that are now getting into the house (which I catch and release). But I can hear them hitting the plastic covering inside the fireplace, so they're still in there moving around. Probably what I'll do is remove a little bit of the plastic aside (that's over the fireplace opening) and then spray inside the fireplace with alcohol (with a mister bottle); I've heard that that kills them instantly. Then hopefully that'll clear them out of the chimney. And then I can seal up the chimney opening with something.
proofer is offline   Reply With Quote