Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
Chris from Philadelphia

Share |

Sealing perimeter of house with something cement-based

I have a cement walkway along half the perimeter of my duplex which butts up to the stucco exterior wall. Over time, things have settled, and now there is a gap between that sidewalk and the stucco wall, which water and bugs can get into. Here is a picture of what it looks like:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZHRYEMFps4...Crack+Blog.jpg

I just saw some ants along one portion of the wall, and the first floor tenant actually complained about ants in his unit.

So, I was wondering what I should use to seal up the perimeter of the house where the sidewalk meets the stucco exterior wall. Regular $3 bag of concrete? Regular mortar? Thinset? Deck mud? Thanks!

hellohello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #2

closed-cell backer rod & joint sealant ( gun-grade 100% silicone or polyurethane ),,, NOTHING that you've mentioned will last w/o significant cracking/spalling/displacement

irc

Last edited by stadry; 06-08-2014 at 02:15 PM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
Chris from Philadelphia

Thanks irc, I appreciate the response. The gaps are as big as 1.5" in some areas, so I figured it might make the job look better if I used something cement-based to start. If I used a sealant of some sort, it would be a half-inch in some spots and 1.5" in others, so it wouldn't look uniform. I wanted to use my margin trowel to patch at a 45-degree angle all along where the sidewalk meets the foundation. If it cracks down the line, then perhaps I could use a sealant to seal up those cracks. Good idea/bad idea?
hellohello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohello View Post
Thanks irc, I appreciate the response. The gaps are as big as 1.5" in some areas, so I figured it might make the job look better if I used something cement-based to start. If I used a sealant of some sort, it would be a half-inch in some spots and 1.5" in others, so it wouldn't look uniform. I wanted to use my margin trowel to patch at a 45-degree angle all along where the sidewalk meets the foundation. If it cracks down the line, then perhaps I could use a sealant to seal up those cracks. Good idea/bad idea?

If you don't mind patching it now and then again when this patch opens fine,get a bag of grout from HD or Lowes and have at it.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #5

Also realize that it won't just crack and need patching and then be done after that. You are in Philly which means freeze/thaw damage will be an on going issue as well as further movement of the structure. It will crack and you can caulk those cracks. Then it will crack some more and you'll have to patch those too. Then it will crack more and you will caulk again.

In applications like this the better long term solution is a masonry sealant with a backer rod. Even if it is uneven it will look better than a cement substance that is crumbling and patched with caulk in a bunch of places.

Last edited by eharri3; 06-08-2014 at 07:51 PM.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Bill Kearney

You'd want to be careful to make sure to understand why the walkway subsided. That and make sure the slope doesn't now point toward the house, leading to potential water problems in the future.
wkearney99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:56 AM   #7

there's backer rod to fit - you just won't find it @ the apron/vest stores you figured wrong - the freeze/thaw in philly'll soon make a mess of your very fine repair,,, so what if it doesn't look 'uniform' - looks like **** now so any improvement's better, right ?

so here's what you do - install backer rod & jnt sealant then let it set up a day,,, come back & do it again using a spatula - that's the tool pro's use for caulking but you can sneak 1 out of the kitchen put on an overcoat of sealant

irc

ps - + what the other guys said 'cept woody but he's right about 1 thing - you'll be doing it again,,,,,,,,,,,,,, & again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, & again

Last edited by stadry; 06-09-2014 at 04:04 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #8

There is caulk called OSI quad at homedepot, color gray. After time, it will blend into the concrete. Best adhesion to about anything, and will not harden. If you want, you can sprinkle the caulk with any grey cement dust.

First wash out the joint with hose and let dry.
Figure 1/4-1/2" of caulk, and about 1/2 for backer. Fill the deeper joint with sand and tamp.
Mask tape the wall and side walk. Press in the tape as much as possible, but don't worry about it too much.
Over fill the joint about 1/8. Press down and smooth with trowel. Feather edge to the tape with wet finger then remove the tape.
Regular tube should fill about 5' (?) of 1/2 x 1/2 joint. If you have 10' of joint as such, I'd get 4 tubes and return what I don't use.

If this gets to be too expensive (you posted something about the walk wrapping around the house?), masonary cement mixed with white liquid (forget the name) may give you longer lasting fill.

I have ants inside too. It's probably got nothing to do with the side walk. Judging by the size of some of them, I think either it's warming up here in north or growth hormone is in the drinking water as well as in the rain.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #9

I just used OSI quad for something. One of the best sealants I have ever worked with.

Last edited by eharri3; 06-12-2014 at 11:25 AM.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #10

I just did this job. As others said, backer rod, and I used Quickrete brand self-leveling sealant (because that's what they had at Lowe's). The color of the sealant is a brighter than the 1960's concrete, but so would all those things you suggested. But I think it actually looks kind of sharp. Like if someone saw it they would say to themselves, "Ain't no way waters getting in there."
Now I have a similar but bit bigger job that I'll be posting in a minute
life_aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #11

not going to debate about quikrete vs sika BUT remember the word ' spatula ' ? that's for knife/vertical grade,,, sl isn't the right mtl ALTHO you may get away w/it

irc