Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #1

Share |

Sealing patio gap

I have a poured concrete patio about 20x8 ft that is up against the foundation wall. There is a gap about 3/4" wide where it meets the house. There was some kind of sealer in the gap made out of what appears to be a tar like product. The sealer has deteriorated over the years and we are getting a small leak in the basement. I would like to reseal this gap but I don't know which product to use. I was thinking of hydraulic cement but I am unsure if I need to use a flexible product to account for expansion/contraction. The gap is pretty deep so I could use backer rod and finish it off with flexible caulking of some type or I was thinking of using hydraulic cement but not filling the gap all the way and then finishing it off on top with a caulking. If I use a caulking what type should I buy?
teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #2

Sealing patio gap

DAP makes a self leveling cement crack filler that works great and is easy to get out of the tube. It runs about $8 a tube but I have had the best luck with it. I found it at home depot in the caulk section.
pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #3

Sealing patio gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamo View Post
I have a poured concrete patio about 20x8 ft that is up against the foundation wall. There is a gap about 3/4" wide where it meets the house. There was some kind of sealer in the gap made out of what appears to be a tar like product. The sealer has deteriorated over the years and we are getting a small leak in the basement. I would like to reseal this gap but I don't know which product to use. I was thinking of hydraulic cement but I am unsure if I need to use a flexible product to account for expansion/contraction. The gap is pretty deep so I could use backer rod and finish it off with flexible caulking of some type or I was thinking of using hydraulic cement but not filling the gap all the way and then finishing it off on top with a caulking. If I use a caulking what type should I buy?

What's on the opposite side of the patio?
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #4

Sealing patio gap

The patio butts up to the house on one side and the other side is the lawn.
teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #5

Sealing patio gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamo View Post
The patio butts up to the house on one side and the other side is the lawn.

Since it's lawn on the other side,there's no need for expansion joint,if you think the leak is from the gap between the foundation and patio,fill the gap with what ever you feel will last the longest.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote