Seal Slate Fireplace - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Seal slate fireplace

I have a 3"x3" tile slate fireplace surround. I want to seal it, but notice Dupont has so many different sealers. I don't want to enhance the color, I only want to protect it from stains. I have the Bulletproof sealer that was used on my granite countertop, but not sure if that would be good for slate since it doesn't list it on the bottle. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Hrg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

Seal slate fireplace

I have slate in our front entry way on the floor....I used a stone/concrete sealer from HD....has helf up just fine for the past 10 years....with only 2 initial coats.....

You basically have the choice of 3 different 'shades'....matt, semi-gloss or high gloss....I personally would go matt or semi-gloss....

Note...it will 'deepen' the look....in other words....take a damp rag and wipe your existing slate....that is about how it is going to look...even when dry.

And....welcome to DIY....and pics would be nice....especially before and after....

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Seal slate fireplace

Thanks, this is helpful. I'll check out HD to see what they have.
Hrg22 is offline   Reply With Quote