Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #1

Share |

Screws that go into brick?

I'm looking for some small diameter screws that will screw right into brick. I am fixing the outlet for my dryer. Just hooked up my washer and dryer at the new house, and all went well. Only thing missing is on the outside of the house, where the dryer vent goes. I have a square dryer vent, that has 1 screw hole on each corner.

My problem is, that with conventional methods, I can't get the vent to sit flush up against the brick. I'm assuming that's because they intend for you to use those screw holes, and screw the new vent straight to the brick. Are there some screws out there that will allow me to do this? Here is a link to the vent at lowes so you can get some idea:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_317914-85334...cap&facetInfo=

Bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #2

I have used those plastic plugs like used for drywall. Just get a masonary bit for the size hole and pop it in. Put some silicone caulk on the flanges first. Any good hardware store will have assorted sizes. I have used a regular drill to do the holes, not to bad with a new bit. Tapcon screws are good also but overkill for what you what to do.

cyberknight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cyberknight For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #3

That's a good idea I didn't think about using drywall anchors! That is probably what I will do. Thanks for the help!
Bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #4

just straighten'd out dryer exhaust down @ shore & used drywall plastic plugs - worked great ! bead of 100% silicone on the back of the dryer vent 'cause its stucco'd wall
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #5

Any hardware store sells screws that screw directly into masonry. I usually get something like these:

http://www.menards.com/main/building...ete/c-8928.htm

I drill a pilot hole (with a hammer-drill) a little smaller than the screw and you're good to go.
TheOneWhoKnocks is offline   Reply With Quote