Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

roger c---concrete pad question

I need some honest advice. The concrete pad which is my front stoop, 5ft by 6ft, shows some areas of breaking up, around edges, with some small hairline cracks in some areas, but generally appears solid, however the builder put only three inches of concrete when built 30 years ago.

I have gotten conflicting advice from local concrete contractors, 2 said it can't be repaired, and wanted to replace it completely , with what I think were very pricey figures. One said almost $ 3,000, the other was less around 1500, but he wouldn't replace the railing, and also, said I had to get a course of brick since when he removes the old pad, I will lose the brick under it. This guy sounds like he wants me to do some of the work, or get someone to, all he wants to do is pour the concrete.

Only one guy said he could repair it , and he said the. other guys were wrong, that the basic pad is strong and will last for many years. However, he suggested a large repair that would replace 5 inches by 30 inches on one end, and 5 inches by 20 inches on the other angle, same side. This seems like overkill to me, and he just wants to make more money, for his time.

I have a friend who showed me pictures of his porch which was older, and much more deteriorated than mine, and he fixed it himself by using some kind of putty type filler, that patched all the holes.

How do I get an honest repairman, who isn't just trying to make a big buck for his time and is exaggerating the condition of my porch, it really doesn't look so bad, only showing damage in 2 areas, with some small hairline cracks in others. What is your opinion?

Last edited by oh'mike; 06-25-2013 at 07:36 AM. Reason: added info to title----
roger c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger c View Post
One said almost $ 3,000,
As a foreigner, I'm seriously tempted to emigrate to the US and set up a concreting business

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony.g For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-25-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 676

Some pictures of the problems would be helpful in order to provide you a good answer.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,386

me, too,,, pictures always a help when i'm faced w/the ' door 1 - door 2 - door 3 ' challenge
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote