DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Concrete, Stone & Masonry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f105/)
-   -   Retaining wall with Basic Retaining Wall Block (http://www.diychatroom.com/f105/retaining-wall-basic-retaining-wall-block-155092/)

cprao 08-28-2012 10:18 AM

Retaining wall with Basic Retaining Wall Block
 
I have a sloping area in my back yard. It is very slope. I am thinking putting these blocks (see the link) to retain dirt.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_150670-26827-10903001_0__?productId=3739147&cm_mmc=PLA_LawnCare Landscaping-_-Pavers,EdgingStonesRetainingWalls-_-gps-_-12-in%20L%20x%204-in%20H%20Natural%20Grey%20Basic%20Retaining%20Wall %20Block%20&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla



I think - these blocks does not require cement or foundation. Please correct me.

How much height is recommended ? Depends on the requirements, I would like to divide the area into two. One at the very bottom (may be 3 ft height) and then in the middle of the slope (leaving a 4 ft room) another 3 ft height.

The photos of the area-
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...l/P7230570.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...l/P7230569.jpg

joecaption 08-28-2012 10:32 AM

The link to the stones does not work.

cprao 08-28-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 998265)
The link to the stones does not work.

sorry. Try now.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_150670-26827...la&cagpspn=pla

Msradell 08-29-2012 05:02 PM

Those blocks you're talking about will work but certainly not the best choice. The biggest reason is that they have no way of locking between layers and over time portions of the wall will slip and become displaced. Most of the better blocks its use for retaining walls have some type of feature to do this. They may not be available at the big box stores but are readily available. They are much more expensive and do a much better job than the long run.

Here are a couple of websites from suppliers of these type blocks. They also have instructions which are applicable no matter which type of blocks you end up using.

http://www.allanblock.com/DLP/AllanBlockProducts.aspx
http://www.versa-lok.com/homeowner

You are certainly better off doing it stronger initially so you don't have to redo it in the future.

wkearney99 08-29-2012 06:05 PM

Yeah, and check with a local stone place about getting them delivered in bulk. DO NOT buy them individually at a box store, you'll overpay.

If you're going to stack it yourself and you're not into using mortar then you'd really want to use blocks that have built-in locking mechanism. Some are as simple as a lip that locks each layer together, some get more complicated with pins.

Bear in mind if you raise the soil level near trees you'll probably kill them. Roots expect to remain at the depth they grew. If you pile a lot more on top the roots won't get better the same amount of air and water, and will likely die taking the tree with them. You may want to speak with someone local that knows the trees you've got and how to deal with it.

jomama45 08-29-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cprao (Post 998257)
I have a sloping area in my back yard. It is very slope. I am thinking putting these blocks (see the link) to retain dirt.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_150670-26827-10903001_0__?productId=3739147&cm_mmc=PLA_LawnCare Landscaping-_-Pavers,EdgingStonesRetainingWalls-_-gps-_-12-in%20L%20x%204-in%20H%20Natural%20Grey%20Basic%20Retaining%20Wall %20Block%20&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla



I think - these blocks does not require cement or foundation. Please correct me.

How much height is recommended ? Depends on the requirements, I would like to divide the area into two. One at the very bottom (may be 3 ft height) and then in the middle of the slope (leaving a 4 ft room) another 3 ft height.

The photos of the area-
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...l/P7230570.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...l/P7230569.jpg


First, most of the major heavy duty block require an aspect ratio of at least 2:1, or 2' between the toe of the upper wall and the back of the lower wall, for every foot of height. For example, a 3' high lower wall would require an absolute minimum space of 6' between the walls. They will likely also need a geo-grid between the two, as well as additional embedded courses to relieve the load of the toe of the upper wall transferring to the lower wall.

Second, those block aren't intended to go much higher than a foot or two, much less what you're looking to do with them...........

cprao 08-29-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msradell (Post 999223)
Those blocks you're talking about will work but certainly not the best choice. The biggest reason is that they have no way of locking between layers and over time portions of the wall will slip and become displaced. Most of the better blocks its use for retaining walls have some type of feature to do this. They may not be available at the big box stores but are readily available. They are much more expensive and do a much better job than the long run.

Here are a couple of websites from suppliers of these type blocks. They also have instructions which are applicable no matter which type of blocks you end up using.

http://www.allanblock.com/DLP/AllanBlockProducts.aspx
http://www.versa-lok.com/homeowner

You are certainly better off doing it stronger initially so you don't have to redo it in the future.

Great information !! Really love it.
I have found few stores near my city (http://www.allanblock.com/Dealers/Lo...=91741&Dist=15). I will go and inquire about this.

Are the stones different for each application, like - retaining wall or sound barrier, etc ?

cprao 08-29-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkearney99 (Post 999261)
Yeah, and check with a local stone place about getting them delivered in bulk. DO NOT buy them individually at a box store, you'll overpay.

If you're going to stack it yourself and you're not into using mortar then you'd really want to use blocks that have built-in locking mechanism. Some are as simple as a lip that locks each layer together, some get more complicated with pins.

Bear in mind if you raise the soil level near trees you'll probably kill them. Roots expect to remain at the depth they grew. If you pile a lot more on top the roots won't get better the same amount of air and water, and will likely die taking the tree with them. You may want to speak with someone local that knows the trees you've got and how to deal with it.

Thank you for the advise. There are two trees that may get impacted by this project.
One is the palm tree which is seen on the picture. I can probably create a shield around the tree with stones to avoid raising the soil level over there.

The other one is huge Maple tree. It is very old. You don't see them in pic since it it almost on the top of the slope but still might get impacted little bit. I will have to see how do I avoid increasing the soil level around that tree.

cprao 08-29-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jomama45 (Post 999334)
First, most of the major heavy duty block require an aspect ratio of at least 2:1, or 2' between the toe of the upper wall and the back of the lower wall, for every foot of height. For example, a 3' high lower wall would require an absolute minimum space of 6' between the walls. They will likely also need a geo-grid between the two, as well as additional embedded courses to relieve the load of the toe of the upper wall transferring to the lower wall.

Second, those block aren't intended to go much higher than a foot or two, much less what you're looking to do with them...........

Thank you !! I think I got what you are saying..

If build a retain wall of 2' at the base of the slope, I need to leave 6' space before building another wall of 2' ft. Between these two walls, I need to apply certain material like geo-grid to minimize the transfer of load from the top wall to bottom wall (at the base)..

Does this makes sense ?

jomama45 08-30-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cprao (Post 999456)
Thank you !! I think I got what you are saying..

If build a retain wall of 2' at the base of the slope, I need to leave 4' space before building another wall of 2' ft. Between these two walls, I need to apply certain material like geo-grid to minimize the transfer of load from the top wall to bottom wall (at the base)..

Does this makes sense ?

Fixed it, and yes, that makes sense.................:thumbsup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 AM.