Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #1

Share |

Resurfacing or overlaying a conrete patio?

We're adding some stamped, colored concrete that meets up to our current plain concrete patio. I'm just wondering what are the best options to match the two aesthetically.

Overlaying or resurfacing the old concrete? Scoring it to match and then add coloring? Or is there some product that's specifically for this purpose?

(The original concrete is 2 years old and doesn't have any cracks, etc)

Thanks!

Last edited by billmanweh; 06-13-2014 at 08:37 PM.
billmanweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmanweh View Post
We're adding some stamped, colored concrete that meets up to our current plain concrete patio. I'm just wondering what are the best options to match the two aesthetically.

Overlaying or resurfacing the old concrete? Scoring it to match and then add coloring? Or is there some product that's specifically for this purpose?

(The original concrete is 2 years old and doesn't have any cracks, etc)

Thanks!
There are [Self Leveling] cement type overlay products available that are also "stamp-able" and stain-able" if so desired.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #3

Generally, how thick are products like that?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
Tileguy

Quote:
Generally, how thick are products like that?
I think they go down at around 1/2". Technique may vary with the manufacturer.

Mapei International is the company I had in mind but there are others.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:33 AM   #5

generally they're about 3/8" thick,,, we started using texturepave about 15yrs ago,,, stamps are not inexpensive nor is the technique a slow & inexpensive learning curve for a diy'er,,, concretenetwork.com - elitecrete.com - decorativeconcrete.com - are 3 places to begin,,, i'd guess, when all's said & done, its less expensive to buy this work than diy then diy again & possibly diy a 3rd time.

some conc people can also perform good decorative conc overlays on existing conc - you might ask your guy or he might offer a referral

irc

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #6

We've got a contractor who is doing the patio, and his suggestion was to not to an overlay because he thought it would start to crack as the foundation moved, etc. So his idea was to score the current concrete and color to match the new.

I just wanted to educate myself a little before we made a final decision. I just thought there must be some sort of overlay that could be actually stamped to match.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
We've got a contractor who is doing the patio, and his suggestion was to not to an overlay because he thought it would start to crack as the foundation moved, etc. So his idea was to score the current concrete and color to match the new.

I just wanted to educate myself a little before we made a final decision. I just thought there must be some sort of overlay that could be actually stamped to match.
When it comes to using concrete...there can be no guarantees, it sometimes has a mind of its own.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #8

But generally, would scoring be a better option than an overlay?

I just want to match the old with the new as best as possible, obviously.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
Tileguy

Quote:
But generally, would scoring be a better option than an overlay?
I think it would. I feel there is some risk in doing exterior overlays.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #10

does ' scoring ' = sawcutting ? you can match stamp'd conc patters w/thin-stamp'd stamps HOWEVER it depends on what conc stamp's used - some have deep relief while others are shallow,,, i'm getting the feeling your guy might be good 2 stamp'd conc but not so skilled @ thin-stamp'd

as far as permanence, using the right material, there shouldn't be much difference in useable life of either

irc

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
Old 06-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #11

He's offered me the option, to 'score' it, or overlay it. I just wasn't sure how well the scored and colored was going to be able to match. But it doesn't sound like a huge issue.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #12

i've only used elitecrete & we have jobs that've been down for 12yrs w/o any trouble - augusta, aiken, atlanta,,, sure they need resealing every yr but that's not a big deal,,, does he have any sampleboards ? go look at the work,,, decorative conc work is artisan work - placing & finishing conc is different

irc