Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #1

Share |

replacing "rough in" opening

Totally new to concrete and probably should have though of this prior to creating this hole but here goes. Decided to put a bathroom in the basement and cut the floor to access exesting plumbing, replace where necessary and run new. The hole is approx 7-8 ft long and starts out about 2.5' wide and narrows to a little over a ft. Now my questions are:

1. Do I need a bonding agent on the existing after cleaning it thoroughly?

2. Is rebar going to be necessary?

3. Is covering with plastic and wetting a couple times a day for 2-3 days going to be enough for it to cure.

Side note I live in Iowa and tempatures arent going to be above 60 for a while according to forecasts and the ground is pretty wet as is.
Attached Thumbnails
replacing "rough in" opening-20130414_144643_resized.jpg  

lk00331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk00331 View Post
Totally new to concrete and probably should have though of this prior to creating this hole but here goes. Decided to put a bathroom in the basement and cut the floor to access exesting plumbing, replace where necessary and run new. The hole is approx 7-8 ft long and starts out about 2.5' wide and narrows to a little over a ft. Now my questions are:

1. Do I need a bonding agent on the existing after cleaning it thoroughly?

No, just brush it off until it's clean.

2. Is rebar going to be necessary?

No, unless the sides are smooth, and then I would use rebar/Tapcons/steel mails/anything drilled into the sides of the existing to keep the patch from settling.

3. Is covering with plastic and wetting a couple times a day for 2-3 days going to be enough for it to cure.

You don't need to even do that, the strength of that concrete will far exceed what is really needed w/o any special curing, especially in a basement.

Side note I live in Iowa and tempatures arent going to be above 60 for a while according to forecasts and the ground is pretty wet as is.
The outside temp and weather will have no effect on the concrete, just pour away........

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
itsreallyconc (04-20-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #3

Thanks a ton! makes the job a lot easier knowing this!
lk00331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #4

jo, you are too cool

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote