Replacing One Side Walk Block - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

replacing one side walk block

Hi y'all. I need to replace one sidewalk block and am planning on pouring it myself. What I am wondering about is the forms. I have poured a sidewalk from scratch with forms. But this is just one block.
To the 'north' of the block I am replacing is asphalt, to the 'south' is concrete apron of the drive. To the 'east' and 'west' are solid concrete side walk blocks.
Do I use thin hardboard as a form between each different material?
Can I get by just by placing expansion material next to each material and using the existing borders as a form?
Do use the existing boarders to screed the pour? If not, how do I do it.
Thanks

Advertisement

LCIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,570

Expansion material only. You only need forms to hold the soft concrete in place. The existing structures will act as forms and hold the concrete in place as it cures.

Advertisement

LCIndy (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,280

joed is correct, I have poured many with just expansion material as a divider between the existing and the new.

Screed with the existing as the edging and use an edger for the little edge decoration, and let it cure.

All done.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
LCIndy (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Makes sense. I was looking at it and realized there was no room for a form and was at a loss for a bit. Duh, the form is already there. Thanks!
LCIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 93

Looking to accomplish the same exact thing. Would I need to lay metal mesh reinforcement? Also, what exactly is expansion material? Would you place that north and south?
hboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #6

You need reinforcement only if you are pouring a large sized piece, or are planning on a lot of weight on it, the usual sidewalk is usually poured in 4' x4' squares and around 4" thick.

The expansion material is the 1/2" x 4" fibrous material in between the actual slabs. It is sold in the concrete section of your home improvement stores in usually 5' lengths.

ED
Old 06-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #7

Perfect. Thanks ED.

Would I need to seal that expansion with a sonolastic type of elastometric self-leveling caulk ?

I've seen that product used on edges of concrete sidewalks as they hit the building or between joints of concrete squares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
You need reinforcement only if you are pouring a large sized piece, or are planning on a lot of weight on it, the usual sidewalk is usually poured in 4' x4' squares and around 4" thick.

The expansion material is the 1/2" x 4" fibrous material in between the actual slabs. It is sold in the concrete section of your home improvement stores in usually 5' lengths.

ED
Old 06-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #8

Caulking is usually done to keep water from penetrating into a living space. So It is just an unnecessary expense in a sidewalk, unless it abuts a foundation.

ED
Old 06-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #9

Got it. Thanks for the tip. In the event I do want to caulk, would I need to secure that expansion material 1/2" down from the finished sidewalk? Do you secure the expansion material to the adjacent concrete using tapcons or will the weight of the new poured concrete keep it in place ?
Old 06-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #10

As long as the expansion joint material is kept down and just below flush with the old slab while pouring the new . it will be permanently stuck between the old and new after the curing is done.

Remember to use an edging tool for a professional look.

ED
Old 06-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #11

ED - Thanks for the info. Lastly, safe to assume that the fibrous material should not be visible? Here in Queens, NY I've seen that black fibrous material visible between squares on their edges on plenty of occasions. I've also seen folks leave 2x lumber around edges. Not why people do that because it looks terrible.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #12

Visible or not visible, that is up to the individual home owner.

And I agree leaving the 2x forms is tacky. (AKA REDNECK)

ED
Old 06-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,486

its called ' joint sealing ', NOT caulking as many misunderstand the term as they do ' masonry ' vs ' masonary ',,, yes, jnt sealing prevents wtr from leaking down under the slab & ' flushing ' the fines out of the sub-grade when a heavy load rolls across the jnt & the conc bends ( yes, conc does flex ),,, just as importantly, it keeps incompressibles OUT of the jnt so when the conc expands ( remember hy-skoul fizykx ? - solids expand under heat, liquids expand under cold ), the little junque doesn't ' spall ' the conc's edges,,, in a sidewalk, who cares,,, in a driveway, many are ignorant, on a runway, apron, or hgwy, its critical

on rte 9 in duchess cty, they used cedar strips for joint filler - same on 9w,,, exp jnt is usually left in place,,, evidently there are many ' rednecks ' in noo yawk still even tho they haven't had a mayor since ed koch & rudy

irc
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
hboogz (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #14

For good measure, while i have your ear. Which product would you recommend for the sidewalk square? Quikrete 5000? Perhaps with a dye that would match the existing? What about joint sealeant? sonolastic?
Old 06-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #15
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

If you're dead set on sealing the joints, I'd use something like this:

http://www.wrmeadows.com/deck-o-foam...-joint-filler/

The top 1/2" is perferated, and can be easily removed after the concrete cures, leaving a perfect profile for filling.

Also, Sonolastic works well. I've had good luck with Sikaflex self-leveling as well, and it's often available at HD......

Advertisement

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
hboogz (06-20-2014)