Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

Share |

replacing masonry chimney with metal chim. above roof line

My son has this late 50's early 60's era houses where they used concrete block chimney all the way up from basement floor. Its in great shape except for the part exposed to harsh Nebraska weather above roof line.

It is flashed all goofy AND either has leaked or is leaking. Thinking if possible when the roof gets replaced soon that we take it down to attic level and replace top with conventional metal chimney. Is there a good non leak way of connecting the round pipe to the square masonry bottom. I can flash and counterflash the round one in the roof sheathing area better.

Or is there a better method or permanent fix? Like recovering it with stucco type covering that is badly gone south,,,and the cracks?????Think they are clear thru concrete chimney but not sure,havent inspected closely

Last edited by 4just1don; 04-10-2012 at 03:53 PM.
4just1don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #2

no one has ANY ideas???? how do I fix this?

4just1don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

I don't think its possible.

You will likely have a clay flue within the chimney structure. I am not aware of any way to properly attach and seam - a stainless steel pipe to a clay flue.

IMHO - Its going to be either all clay flue within a masonry chimney stack - or - all stainless steel pipe.

I've never seen or heard anyone speak of what you are dreaming about doing. I could be wrong....but these statements are my geniune observations, and I have done many steel pipe installs (including installing insert fireplaces and wood stoves).
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote