DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing dirt basement floor with concrete slab

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  joecaption 
#1 ·
I have a stone foundation house (built in 1840) and part of the foundation is dirt. It had a wood floor which was riddled with mold and water issues. So the plan is to rip up the wooden floor and pour a foundation, but there is dirt underneath.

How deep do I need to dig the dirt for the concrete? The water seems to come in through the floor rather than the stone walls. Can I install a 10mil vapor barrier under the concrete or is there another way to achieve the water barrier?

Does there also need to be gravel under the vapor barrier? Does this mean I have to dig it deeper to accommodate for the gravel?

I will have pics later tonight.

#2 ·
A lot more to this then just poring a slab and the water stops going even with a vaper barrier.

How far is it now from the floor to the bottom of the floor joist? (just a rough average)
Your going to need a drain system, sump pump.

I'd never suggest anyone DIY there own slab floor. Sounds like a simple job, but there a whole lot of factors that if done wrong the slab becomes worthless. It's aone shot deal.

What you need to do is find a concrete finisher, that's the trade that does nothing but slabs, walkway ect. Any concrete supply company should be able to give you some leads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.