Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #1

Share |

Replacing damaged brick?

Can anyone suggest some good info on brick repair? I have quite a few bricks I need to replace from water damage (raked joints). Thanks.

r1racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #2

Replacing damaged brick?

A picture would be nice.
Most often you use a 4-1/2" right angle grinder with a diamond blade to cut into the long joints, then some people use a chisel to remove the rest. I prefer to use a hammer drill and drill holes in the mortar and in the middle of the brick to weaken it.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #3

Replacing damaged brick?

Which method is the quickest/easiest? I have about 100 to replace and probably 200 joints to fix. Also, for this wall wouldn it be easier to tear them all out and start over? Last question, the top row is under the deck overlap so how would I repair those (I want to add a drip cap).
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing damaged brick?-photo-13-.jpg  
r1racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #4

Replacing damaged brick?

To cut out these brick and replace, is going to be very tedious.
These brick look to be very hard and brittle. Cutting one brick out and not breaking the one adjoining it will be your biggest obstacle.

If (big IF) you are successful, you will want to fill in all the raked joints with mortar and tool joint with a half round jointer.

What caused the face of these brick to pop off is the water running off the deck getting in between the joints then freezing occurred expanding against brick face causing damage
mowpar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mowpar For This Useful Post: