Repairing An Outdoor Fireplace - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Repairing an outdoor fireplace

I have a outdoor fireplace (plus bbq grill) that has some damage (see attached photos). Not sure if its from an earthquake or the previous owner ran into it with their car. Anyhoo I'd like to repair at least the fireplace part (get it functioning again) and replace the missing bricks of the structure.

How do I go about doing this myself? How much would an professional charge me for this work?
Attached Images

Advertisement

anuvanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 616

That sure looks like a knock down and start over to me.
No one here is going to be able to tell you what materials or labor is going to cost.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Well there's some potentially really cool history behind this fireplace so I'd really don't want to tear it down. Also the damage you see is only on that right side, which actually isn't much. The only work I think needs to be done is re-bricking the exterior walls of the fireplace cavity, the ceiling/roof of the fireplace cavity with the rotted out supporting metal beams and the top layer of bricks on outer most wall on the right.

Is this something I can do?
anuvanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 152

I will never say "NO, thats not something you can do"

But in this case, the demo alone will most likely end up causing much more work then first thought. Plus, you dont want to really build over old, weakened masonry because the new brick/mortar will crack very quickly once the weight settles on the soft mortar.

I understand completely that you might have some attachment to something with so much history behind it. Sometimes in life you have to know when to let go. Sorry if my words didnt help your cause but this is a very labor intensive job that can easily turn into much more then ANYONE could plan for. Didnt mean to deflate your hopes but if you must keep this fireplace...

GOOD LUCK!!
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote