Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #1

Share |

Repair to Concrete Porch

I've got this porch that needs repairs - has some cracks on the corners. I've tossed one quote out, but the other two I got are quite different. (The numbers are more for comparative purposes.)

One guy quoted $1500 to saw off and repair the two corners, plus put this 1/2" layer over the top. (Which will make the new corners less obvious, and help keep out water I assume?) He quoted $2500 to replace the whole top piece (the 5" thick portion).

Other guy quoted $1800 to replace the whole top piece, and said he wouldn't saw off the corners and repair because he was afraid this other line in the porch would just crack open. This $1800 is more favorable if it's a good job.

I don't know if this kind of difference is common, but one person suggested the quality of the concrete. I'm happy to call these guys and ask, but I don't know what that means - size of rocks, quality of mixing stuff, mixing process??? (I know diddly about concrete.) It would be helpful if someone could explain what this means and what I should be asking.

(Both are concrete-work only self-employed. No big company or do-it-all contractors, etc.)

I really want another quote but I've had a heck of a time getting people to call me back.

Erimess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:05 AM   #2
DIY staff

Repair to Concrete Porch

It is tough to find someone interested in a small repair.

I am not a concrete guy---but the one that wants to 'cut the corners' and 'skin' the old work? Throw away his quote---that is a failure in our freeze and thaw area----

Old 08-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #3

Repair to Concrete Porch

Posting a picture of what you have will get better answers.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #4

Repair to Concrete Porch

both methods will ' work ' but i suspect the 1/2" guy's using apron/vest store mtl so i wouldn't select him,,, that method is generally too technical a project for ordinary conc guys.

assuming the $1,800 guy's work references ck out, i'd pick him IF i were you,,, not sure what he meant by ' other line in the porch would just crack open. ' is it an existing control/expansion/contraction jnt that didn't crack ?

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #5

Repair to Concrete Porch

You might want to ask the $1800.00 guy what he's going to use to replace the landing,ready mix or bagged material??
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #6

Repair to Concrete Porch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
You might want to ask the $1800.00 guy what he's going to use to replace the landing,ready mix or bagged material??
So which is the bad and the good?

I appreciate the answers thus far. Sounds like people are shying away from the corner repair. I do understand the freeze/thaw problem. Our weather goes from single digit up to 90's, and sometimes very fast changes.

The "line" in the porch is a crooked line through a section that can be visually seen but has not cracked open or anything. It's not a joint. It's dark right now but I can try to get a pic when I have time.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #7

Repair to Concrete Porch

Well, I can't find all my paperwork where I was tracking stuff, nor the quote the one guy gave me. So I don't even have the $1800 guy's name and can't remember it, nor do I recognize it when I tried a new search online.

So all of the above is mostly irrelevant now. I found a 3rd person to come out and I'm going to have him do it, and just replace the whole top.

My one question is what kind of warranty should I expect? I realize concrete cracks and such after time (especially in our weather), but if it's cracking open in a short time something's wrong. (After all, the first porch lasted for years.)