Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #1

Share |

Removing Water-Based Solid Color Stain from Driveway

Urgent need for advice regarding how to best remove H&C Concrete Water-Based Solid Color Stain from our driveway. Thank you in advance.

sore thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #2

buying from sher-wms again, huh ? wht did sher-wms say ? have no idea other'n wait til the sun fades it,,, you could acid-wash w/diluted hydrochloric 1HCl : 8 H2 O & see if that works for you - never did for us, tho,,, we always had to o'lay IF the folks wanted to invest more $$$ & have it done right by the pro's,,, for a few yrs, we made a good living following some clown around repairing his work you might try googling eliteCrete TX ( Rick Watson's the eC distributor & see if he can recommend someone near you ),,, [ NO financial interest ] there's a reason most dec conc artisans don't use h & c & a very good reason painters do,,, as i recall, Sher-Wms sold the stuff then bought H & C !

Last edited by stadry; 04-03-2013 at 05:29 PM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
mustangmike3789 (04-05-2013), sore thumb (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
buying from sher-wms again, huh ? wht did sher-wms say ? have no idea other'n wait til the sun fades it,,, you could acid-wash w/diluted hydrochloric 1HCl : 8 H2 O & see if that works for you - never did for us, tho,,, we always had to o'lay IF the folks wanted to invest more $$$ & have it done right by the pro's,,, for a few yrs, we made a good living following some clown around repairing his work you might try googling eliteCrete TX ( Rick Watson's the eC distributor & see if he can recommend someone near you ),,, [ NO financial interest ] there's a reason most dec conc artisans don't use h & c & a very good reason painters do,,, as i recall, Sher-Wms sold the stuff then bought H & C !
I covered our driveway with Gull Gray H&C Concrete Water-Based Solid Color Stain over 10 years ago. When it faded it became so bright it glowed! And yes you were correct, SW didn't have a clue. H&C recommended SoyGel remover. This stuff retails for $100 a gallon and must be put on super thick. @&$?(:/.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #4

Going to try using a 3000 psi hot water pressure washer. Thoughts, other suggestions?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #5

http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipm...050&catid=s340
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seattle2k For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (04-05-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2k View Post
Thanks yet my contractor tried it yesterday on a free 45 minute trial and It performer no better than the diamond insert buffer (pads out of stock at all DFW Home Depots). The Sunbelt rental unit is very, very expensive so it went back.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #7

Considering a sand blaster in lieu of the pressure washer.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:17 AM   #8

who / what contractor ? ? ? always like it when we responders get sandbagg'd by newbies,,, gggrrrrrrrrrrrrr

no, stain PENETRATES - its not topical,,, even tho the **** YOU pick'd is wtr-bas'd, its still UNDER the d/w's top,,, another point - the edco grinder's NOT expensive,,, its a very good machine for work it was designed to accomplish,,, you're just cheap & pick'd the wrong method,,, using any grinder won't resolve ANYTHING unless you wanna grind down the whole d/w 1/4" & that MAY NOT EVEN BE DEEP ENOUGH,,, forget the s/b, too,,, you'd need a 185cfm air compressor, 300# pot, & 1/4" venturi norbide nozzle,,, even then all you'll do is expose the aggregate by blasting away cement paste,,, then you'll be left w/a speckled trout driveway that only glows in certain areas where the stain penetrated more 'cause someone thought he'd be cool & diy pressure wshr MAY help but only w/sand injection, 3,750psi, & 4gpm AT LEAST,,, using a turbo nozzle will help efficiency,,, whoever suggested diamond pads is also a dummy !

either you live w/it til it fades OR you o'lay it,,, no wtr OR acid stain will prevent from proper permanent adhesion IF you bite the bullet & get a GOOD material,,, we used eliteCrete for yrs & never had any mtl problems.

forget about apron/vest stores,,, the only thing you need from there are plastic contractor bags

yes, soy gel's expensive but we only use it for removing coatings IF we can get the $$$ for it,,, otherwise we diamond grind & o'lay,,, MUCH faster, less expensive, AND there's no soygel residue stains to try & remove,,, they probably didn't mention the residual staining from soy, right ?

did you call rick watson yet 'cause your ' contractor ' is a clueless as ykw,,, either call me or rick,,, otherwise you can listen to the wanna-be dec conc artisans that frequent this forum

just in case some other forum genius suggests it, neither a scarifier, scabbler, or planer will work, either you're f'd & can't blame anyone but ykw

'nuff said,,, hopefully this will be my only rant of the day,,, certainly wasted my fingertip time trying to educate,,, outta this thread

Last edited by stadry; 04-05-2013 at 04:23 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #9

Thanks for speaking your mind. With the drive a part of the overall landscaping contract I'm depending on the designer/contractor to correctly strip and stain.

If we do not like the "on driveway" stained sample we may choose to have the natural brownish look of the driveway sealed to give it a slightly darker hue. Aggregate is exposed in random areas.

Yours thoughts on my comments please?

Last edited by sore thumb; 04-05-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #10

never been known to do otherwise

usually designers/landscapers are clueless when it comes to conc artisan work,,, unless you can find 1 who's skill'd, you'll live w/it,,, expos'd aggregate in random areas doesn't sound as if it was be design,,, bear in mind the best sealer on the mkt is ' CSS ' - bar none,,, next would be any other high solids content solvent-soluble sealers
sore thumb (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #11

Somebody needs to chill out. I didn't imply that my suggestion was the best option out there, just that it was a possibility. You've been around here long enough to know that this is a DIY site, where many people welcome an exchange of ideas. You've got this "I'm the Concrete God" thing going on and it's getting to your head a bit lately. I'm sure you're very skilled and knowledgeable in your trade. Though, it would be nice if you would pull your head out of the concrete and try being a bit cordial. Otherwise, there's always ContractorTalk, where your bad-mouthing and poor attitude are very welcomed.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2k View Post
I truly appreciated your suggestion. Beginning to think part of the problem is operator error and lack of experience.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #13

oftentimes that's the largest error in the equations of successful projects all of us are ignorant about lots yet but, thankfully, there's a cure for our ignorance even ron white says ' you can't fix stupid ! ' but we call all learn as i do just about every day in this venue.

far's chilling out, seattle, no, it wasn't a possibility due to stain's physical properties & performance,,,
DIY or not, many of the threads listed here have been address'd in the past,,, however, its not common for most responders to just reply - ' done it before - do a search ! ' instead, most do try to offer good advice,,, we may not always agree on methods/mtls but most pro's realize there is more than 1 path to every goal,,, the ' concrete gawds ' are usually inflexible & oben ONLY their own laws - cordiality is not often experienced when their laws aren't respected,,, i think that's a result of the donahue-zation of men & further encouraged by the oprah-zation of wimmins,,, conc doesn't give a **** which's why we play by the conc gawds rules

gee, i actually thought my 1st response WAS cordial - or fairly respectful to its extent,,, if it were not so, would not our super-moderator sent me a prov message ? nevertheless, its a good point & i shall try to be cognizant of it in the future

sore thumb (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
Bill Kearney

what's with the font changes? It's ugly and harder to read.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #15

Forget about the font changes; listen/read everything 'itsreallyconcrete' has to say; not many like him in these parts.

The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote