Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #1

Share |

Removing/rebuilding small cement wall

Hey all,

I have a small 1-2' wall that runs the length of my driveway. It's about 80' long and is falling apart. It looks like it is constructed in a way that would be realitely easy to remove for the most part, but there is an area where the neighbors fence is within a foot of the wall.

Do you guys have any tips on how to remove a wall of this sort?

Also, I want to build a wall in place of it. I was originally thinking about building a fence there, but the quote I got from contractor was around $3000 and a thread I made earlier today in another area led me to the idea of building a wall. My question here is how difficult would it be to build a 6' tall 80' long wall along my driveway? I'm sure there are many considerations with stability since it would be dangerous if it fell.

pics are of the wall in its current shape.

Other thread: Removing above ground cement barrier
Attached Thumbnails
Removing/rebuilding small cement wall-789829_2.jpg   Removing/rebuilding small cement wall-image-135146849.jpg   Removing/rebuilding small cement wall-image-548311516.jpg   Removing/rebuilding small cement wall-image-1311284994.jpg   Removing/rebuilding small cement wall-image-3254110367.jpg  

Deaner13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #2

probably those trees won't tip over when rebuilding this wall but 1st i'd want to find the depth of the wall's foundation & how often those pipes secure it to the footer,,, after that its 12 or 16# sledgehammer altho some wimps are known to use elec jackhammers these days most wimps, incl me, come to think of it

if it were me, i wouldn't consider building your wall if i couldn't foresee how to remove this little stub wall 1st,,, then again, i wouldn'tbuild a wall against my neighbor's fence

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #3

Smashing out the wall is simple enough. The only are that worries me is where it is leaning onto the neighbors fence, but after looking closer I don't think it would be too hard. I was just wondering if there was any other suggestions than a big ass hammer haha.

As to building a tall wall, I'm off that idea now. Now I'm thinking about 3-4" tall cement barrier in place of the current wall (much skinnier than current wall) for water retention. Then drill in some fence posts and put a fence up.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #4

understand the need for water management but why a wall ? won't your family better use those $$$ for your share of obama's health care pkg ?
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #5

I want to put up some sort of privacy fencing because of the apartments behind my house.

Kind of tired of having 7 people being able to see into my driveway and back door/windows all the time.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #6

Quote:
My question here is how difficult would it be to build a 6' tall 80' long wall along my driveway?
A lot more than the cost of the fence. Probably three or four times more. Doesn't matter what you call it, a fence or a wall, the material it is made of and the labour to build are still there. The material for a wall like that is much more than a fence.