Removing A Partial Section Of Concrete - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rjniles

Old 06-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Removing a partial section of concrete

Hi, all. I am not sure if my concrete issue can be fixed, but I thought I would ask.

Our concrete garage is about 3 inches higher than our house flooring, so we step up to go into the garage. We would like to make it level with the house. So can we cut out a section of concrete just in front of the door?
Then pour a new section of concrete which starts at the door (level with the house) then slopes upward to the rest of the garage floor?

Our other thought would be to grind the concrete to make the same slope.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Advertisement

pypeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 4,856

Re: Removing a partial section of concrete

The arrangement you describe is unusual, and probably does not meet code. Normally the garage floor must be several inches lower than the house floor, that way if gasoline or similar flammable liquid spills on the floor of the garage, it does not get into the house. You may wish to check with your local building inspector about the rules in your area.

As to grinding the concrete, hard work, but possible. Most important is to determine if your goal is to make the entire floor lower than your house, which would be a big project. You may be permitted to cut out a section near the house lower than then house floor, which can be done if the concrete is thick enough, or I suppose you could chop out the concrete, excavate six inches or so deeper, and place a new section of concrete at the appropriate elevation.

Check with the building inspector, you don't want to go to a lot of trouble only to find out the project does not meet code, you could have issues when you sell the house.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 16

We live lake front, and there are no permits needed. Very rural area. We bought the house 5 years ago and have slowly brought things up to our standards. The same standards used in most cities. We didn't go out the garage door and didn't notice the step up into the garage before we bought the house.

There is a huge room above the garage so we can't do anything about the rest of the concrete. We just want to get rid of the step up. We have a temporary ramp set in place right now on the interior of the house.

Obviously, the idiots that built the garage didn't factor in the fact that it should have been lower than the inside of the house. You should have seen the electrical wiring....so not up to any electrician's code. We had an electrician replace all of it.

So how do we fix the concrete? Thanks.
pypeke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2016, 01:27 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 4,228

I would remove the whole concrete floor slab. Excavate below the house floor and pour a new slab. Not cheap but the only real solution.
Msradell likes this.

Tags
concrete