Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #1

Share |

Removing an interior stone wall

I am contemplating moving and I found a house online that I like BUT in the basement it has what looks to be an entire wall of stone with a gas fireplace inset. I'm attaching a pic and would just like opinions of a)whether it would be possible to remove the stone; b) if yes, is it something we could do ourselves or c)if it would require professionals what you think it might cost.
thanks for any responses! Brenda
Attached Images

bren1519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #2

No idea from that picture.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #3

I will elaborate a bit and say that I don't expect anyone to be able answer my questions with 100% certainty but I was just looking for some opinions from diy'ers that might have a better idea than I would. If it's impossible to give an opinion then, thx anyway.....nothing ventured nothing gained!
bren1519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren1519 View Post
I am contemplating moving and I found a house online that I like BUT in the basement it has what looks to be an entire wall of stone with a gas fireplace inset. I'm attaching a pic and would just like opinions of a)whether it would be possible to remove the stone;

Absolutely, although it will require some sweat equity, and you'll need to patch the floor in somehow, as it won't be pretty when you're done.Th biggest question I would have, as far as how difficult it would be, is how is the FP vented to the exterior? If it has a full chimney, it's going to be far more complicated...

b) if yes, is it something we could do ourselves or

More than likely, yes, but again, it's not something that's going to go away in a few hours. Just from that one picture, you're talking about 10,000 to 15,000 pounds of material.....

c)if it would require professionals what you think it might cost.
thanks for any responses! Brenda
No way to guess at a cost from a tiny picture with any amount of accuracy.......
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Bill Kearney

If it's just a fake wall of stone then you ought to be able to remove it. But if it's a real masonry fireplace with a chimney then you're in for a much more complicated job. A half-way option would be to wall it over with drywall. But be sure to properly seal both the top and bottom (after being certain just what else might be using that chimney, like a water heater or the furnace).

But based on that picture you can't be certain.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:56 AM   #6

I have recently removed 3500 pounds of rock used to face my fireplace.
The rocks were 10 to 25 pounds a piece. I started using a 7 watt Bosch hammer drill. It helped but it would have taken many many hours to remove all the stone. I then tried a 10 lb sledge but I was worried I would displace fireplace bricks.
I then went to Home Depot and rented a 14 watt Makita hammer drill. This works much better and will not hurt the underlying fireplace bricks. Rents $75 a day

Last edited by hudel; Yesterday at 02:02 AM.
hudel is offline   Reply With Quote