Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 16
Share |

Remove part of conc basement wall

a car ran into town house conc bsmt wall,,, due to displacement of wall, engineer says 6' x 8' piece must be replaced,,, best method to remove than wall sawing w/track-mounted wall saw & finish corners w/chain saw ?

will open existing floor & place steel reinforced footers for temp structure supports then excavate exterior to below depth of damaged wall section,,, install temp sump & pump to handle any possible rainfall accumulation,,, install w/epoxy #5 rebar pins into cored holes into existing wall ( 3ea 24" into 6' vertical sides & 4 on the horizontal ) - attach forms then pump 1.25cy 4K mobile-mix conc,,, thinking form wall ties aren't necessary 'cause we can crib ply form against ext hole's wall & brace interior side of form from existing floor,,, only part that's tricky is matching existing wall elevation but that's not too critical.

will use either wet mortar OR epoxy bonding compound for conc then, when cured, will waterproof ext sid,,, anything i'm missing ? expect i know who'll reply - thanks, guys - appreciate the responses

Last edited by stadry; 04-14-2013 at 06:00 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

just thinking out loud here.

but wouldn't a jagged seem be better ? i am thinking that it would help lock the new concrete into place.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #3

good point, fix,,, altho this wasn't listed, 1 of the prep steps is using our aurand scarifiers to roughen the sawed planes thereby promoting better adhesion,,, we also have 9 & 12point bushing tools for the corners the aurands can't reach,,, no matter what, its usually impossible to chemically bond new conc to old but the tie bars will hold the new conc in position & exterior wtrproofing will prevent any leaks

you're exactly right in that ' jagged ' surfaces often promote better conc slab ' interlock ',,, thanx, mr fix
Old 04-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #4

i don't want to jack your thread here. but just wondering = do they have some kind of concrete "glue" ?

yeah, you can't "weld" concrete together. so glueing it is all i can think of.

you could also cut some form of a "V" on the end of each cutout. this would also lock them togheter.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #5

' keyway ' is what you mean ? that's usually reserved for commercial work altho, in my experience, better bldrs req it of their conc subs,,, i'm not concern'd w/displacement/movement as the tiebars'll prevent that,,, making a keyway's usually done by putting a 2x4 into the found form then removing it prior to forming & placing the wall,,, some even incl a pre-form'd wtrstop,,, we'd have to diamond saw 2 kerfs then chip out the conc in-between.

i'll incl it as an alternate ( more $$$ ),,, nevertheless, another good point tho, fix - tnx
Old 04-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #6

just like this. the empty space between the >< is the new concrete.

============> <============
Old 04-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6

" install w/epoxy #5 rebar pins into cored holes into existing wall ( 3ea 24" into 6' vertical sides & 4 on the horizontal

You'll have a much better chance of that patch being water tight,if you key the wall on both ends AND pin it,essentially what you have is a cold joint on both ends,i'd also mix a cement/water slurry to prime before you pour,although i know you kinda lean to epoxy as a bonder.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #8

agreed, canary,,, a couple astm epoxies are still valid fed spec which, while not applicable to private work, will also meet icri specs,,, we plan to heavily waterproof the exterior,,,, never was a fan of the slurry method but that's just me,,, we'll see what the wall sawyers say tomorrow,,, have hands-on exp w/that but its been 15yrs there could be something better.

ps - no hammer drills for fear of micro-fractures,,, IF someone were to spot those caused by excessive shock, we'd have to enlarge the opening meaning more back-pocket $$$ lost

appreciate the effort & suggestion
Old 04-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

"IF" it were me, I'd cut it out with a concrete chainsaw, but I'm partial to it as it's what we already own. I'd actually make 3 cuts, so the pieces were only 4'x6', and have the excavator leave the mini-ex on site to pull the 2 chunks out. I'd also cut the ends a very slight angle, so they removed much easier, and the new pour would have resistance to inward movement.

As for attaching the walls together, I'd use plenty of dowels, and I'd likely use either "Voclay" or "Sikaswell" on the cold joints. I wouldn't rely on anything else to bond them together, as you know there's going to be a slight bit of shrinkage.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:13 AM   #10

good point,,, thought that piece weighs about 3,500# so slicing it into mini-ex bites & yanking it out w/chain thru a cored hole is easy (got a weka 3speed on the shelf),,, we're the excavator, remover, former, placer, & wtrproofer, too the only part i'll sub is sawing - sold all that equip yrs ago when i retired

where're you getting the chains now ?

yep, there will be shrinkage,,, had planned to handle that from the exterior when wtrproofing but will look at those products,,, good tips - thanks, jo

[ thought you'd left town again ]
Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
Concrete & Masonry

I just buy ICS chains right from the local distributor......
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #12

what a doofus i am plumb forgot about the hand/demo saws either hi-cycle elec, gas, or hydraulic,,, we had 20" blades fitted on them & cut thru a 8" wall w/no problem
Old 04-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Silly question, but shouldn't the insurance of the person whose car hit your basement wall be paying to have the pair done? That would ensure it was done correctly by professionals and you wouldn't have to worry about it.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #14

the driver's insurance co IS paying to have the work done,,, they're paying ME it will be done correctly, by professionals, & i'm not worried in the least i've never repaired OR built to code be it bldg code or icri,,, always exceed as 'code' is minimum expectations.

look back - did i say it was OUR home ? ?,,, IF that were the case, nagzilla wouldda had me moved out long ago,,, found out something else,,, driver who hit the house was drunk, traveled from the st UP 75' a bank thru landscaping to hit it, 19yrs old, driving his own car, & had his own insurance policy for TWO days,,, ain't life grand ? ? welcome to adulthood ! ! !

or should we say ' former insurance co ' ? ? ?

Last edited by stadry; 04-17-2013 at 04:57 AM.