Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 204
Rewards Points: 158
Default

Remove Leaded Solid Rod Irons from Concrete


I will be covering my old 11x30 concrete patio this week with small gravel possible roofing paper and sand to put pavers over it. The concrete is in terrible condition and water collects on it. I am trying to remove the rod iron railings that go around it but I cannot get them out. After chiseling for the last hour it look like they were set in the concrete with lead... I cut on of the rods off with a metal saw but there is about 4 inches still sticking out of the concrete I need it leveled with the concrete. The post or solid not hollow which I was surprise to find. Any ideas to remove it? I tried using my propane torch but its to low and it keeps going out. Never saw anything like this

ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 713
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Remove Leaded Solid Rod Irons from Concrete


Have they got to come out completely, or can you cut them flush with the surface with an angle grinder (disc cutter)?

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 204
Rewards Points: 158
Default

Remove Leaded Solid Rod Irons from Concrete


I would just cut them flush but I cant get close enough
ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 713
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Remove Leaded Solid Rod Irons from Concrete


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb4614 View Post
I would just cut them flush but I cant get close enough
How come? Pic(s) would help.

(trying to cut them with a hack saw would be a pain!).
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 1,562
Rewards Points: 1,022
Default

Remove Leaded Solid Rod Irons from Concrete


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb4614 View Post
I will be covering my old 11x30 concrete patio this week with small gravel possible roofing paper and sand to put pavers over it. The concrete is in terrible condition and water collects on it. I am trying to remove the rod iron railings that go around it but I cannot get them out. After chiseling for the last hour it look like they were set in the concrete with lead... I cut on of the rods off with a metal saw but there is about 4 inches still sticking out of the concrete I need it leveled with the concrete. The post or solid not hollow which I was surprise to find. Any ideas to remove it? I tried using my propane torch but its to low and it keeps going out. Never saw anything like this

Ever heard of a sawzall,it's what the're for.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
bbo
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Packerland !!
Posts: 1,016
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Remove Leaded Solid Rod Irons from Concrete


Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.g View Post
Have they got to come out completely, or can you cut them flush with the surface with an angle grinder (disc cutter)?
I'm with tony. Id rather use an angle grinder than a sawzall for this application.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 3,683
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Remove Leaded Solid Rod Irons from Concrete


Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post
I'm with tony. Id rather use an angle grinder than a sawzall for this application.
Ayuh,.... Ditto that,....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need of some help with concrete driveway & patio? imola ghost Concrete, Stone & Masonry 25 04-05-2012 09:03 AM
How to remove old glue from concrete slab? bulldogrsp61 Flooring 10 01-01-2012 10:32 PM
Remove floor tile set in 3/4" concrete Dmeyr Flooring 31 12-14-2011 11:07 AM
Remove mastic from concrete slab CountDowne Flooring 2 11-14-2011 03:52 PM
can i install solid bamboo over sheet vinyl on concrete? KrispyDIY Flooring 16 03-23-2011 05:08 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.