Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #1

Share |

Remove grout from concrete slab?

I have an outdoor patio that I removed tile from and I need to remove the grout that was under the tile.

What's the best way to do this without damaging the concrete? I plan to polish and seal the concrete and use it as the patio floor.

Any advice is appreciated.

gekkie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #2

Rent a concrete surface grinder from a local rental company.

Or

Hire a mason to skim coat it with some fancy mortar.

mech_gui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
DIY staff

Yep---rent a concrete grinder----a floor buffer with carborundum stones will remove the bulk of the thinset---but might not get it clean enough for staining-----
Old 03-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #4

Homedepot rents concrete floor grinders with diamond blades. What grade or grit should I use for initial removal and then for polishing?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
DIY staff

I'm going to move this to concrete and masonry for you---those guys are the ones that have grinding/staining experience---Mike----
Old 03-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #6

Thanks oh'mike
Old 03-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #7

Remove the concrete and start over with a new slab.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #8

polishing an exterior slab tell us you're already in over your head so stop watching those tv shows,,, estimating decent polisher rental $ X # days rqd X your experience = many $$$ + poor final finish,,, the absolute best way to do this is hire someone who's got skill & experience,,, 2nd best is renting a DOUBLE disk edco diamond grinder,,, 110v & easier to ' work ' than 1disk which is an inappropriate tool for this,,, yes, their diamond inserts are a pita as they're secured by oak wedges but you should quickly learn how to properly attach them after 2 or 3 dislodge while grinding

for some odd reason, grout lines often ' telegraph ' up thru coatings,,, even a n-hood kroger super-mkt shows 'em on polished/stained conc after vinyl tile removal.

if this IS an exterior slab, forget polishing,,, apply 2 ( or even 3 ) coats of a good polymer-modified cementitious overlay material & continue from there,,, this was & is often discussed on ' concretelocator.com ',,, pay close attn to the ' tag line ' - there's NOTHING for this job at any apron/vest store,,, trust me, you need specialty mtls & equip,,, don't recall anyone else posting on these threads who does this work but moi altho jomama may poss have done some conc sealing.

our local apron store ( & many others ) rents a ' diamabrush ' which fits their lo-speed buffers & does a great job w/diamond-impregnated ' fingers ' rather'n stones.

anyone posting encouraging responses tells more about themselves than the task at hand,,, polishing's extremely specialized work - takes very special equipment, 7 ( at least ) sets of diamond grit tooling, & experience only gain'd by time on the job,,, ' replace the slab ' is another possibility but i wouldn't unless its in horrible condition,,, then again, have only done this work for 15yrs so he may have more experience to share

Last edited by stadry; 03-10-2013 at 12:53 PM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote