Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #1

Share |

Reface brick fireplace with faux stone

Has anyone refaced a brick fireplace with faux (or even real) stone? I'm thinking of doing this and wondering if with just enough mortar and the cut stone pieces, if I can apply it straight to the cleaned brick. Or if some kind of backer board would have to be affixed to the brick first, then the stone face on top of that.

cypherx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherx View Post
Has anyone refaced a brick fireplace with faux (or even real) stone? I'm thinking of doing this and wondering if with just enough mortar and the cut stone pieces, if I can apply it straight to the cleaned brick. Or if some kind of backer board would have to be affixed to the brick first, then the stone face on top of that.

I've done faux stone on an outdoor wall,and put it directly on the brick,but did have to add about a 2 lb. coffee can full of portland cement to the bag of mortar mix i used,so the mortar would hold the stone up,other wise it just wanted to slide off,and it's still there 30 years later.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #3

You can stick Real or PREcast stone to brick allllll day long as long as the brick isnt painted. GL
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote