Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Recommended Driveway Stain, Solid Color, Other Finishes

I'd greatly appreciate recommended brands, types of driveway stains, solid color or other high quality finishes for a concrete.

Last edited by sore thumb; 04-06-2013 at 07:33 PM.
sore thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18

deleted

Last edited by stadry; 04-07-2013 at 05:36 AM.
stadry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:38 AM   #3

there are 2 types of stains: 1 is water-based containing piGment & the other is acid-based containing mineral salts,,, acid is preferred by most pro's as the color imparted by mineral salts is more enduring,,, there are also conc dyes,,, some may suggest epoxies but those have little uv resistancE & are generally unacceptable,,, defining high quality is up to you & others as you already know my preference along w/name of a local expert in your area,,, finally there is the sealer on top of the finish'd work,,, using lo-grade sealers can be compared to dining at a 5star restaurant & ordering a bottle of 2 buck chuck wine

its highly unlikely any of the above will resolve your present issue from what you've posted in your previous thread,,, unless you live w/the current, its likely your d/w needs o'laymentw/polymer-modified conc,,, most likely you'll get diy answers many of which incl apron/vest/sher-wms mtls,,, who frequents these sources ? painters & diy'ers

there're good reasons this is specialty work,,, eliteCrete's big comparative advantage to other suppliers is their distributors have dirty hands/worn knees experience - finding mtls & learning methods while watching hgtv/this old house doesn't go far in the real world,,, alas, even 1 of my daughters has yet to learn this,,, somehow she lacks the gene to find material sources other than apron/vest stores

here's our d/w,,, while acid stains are generally not suitable for exterior use & we don't recommend their use to our clients, i was able to ' burn ' the color into the free lime avail in the conc's cement,,, every yr i press wsh & reseal w/' CSS ' - eliteCrete's solvent-based methylmethacrylate sealer,,, im-n-s-h-fo, the absolute best sealer avail at reasonable $ - currently $ 165 / 5gal,,, we thin it 1CSS: 1 1/2 xylene & apply 2 coats - every year,,, the house # was sculpted into the cured conC - GOOD LUCK !

Last edited by stadry; 04-07-2013 at 05:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (04-07-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 64

Nice looking work there itsreallyconc!!!
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #5

Very attractive indeed. Why did you not apply the stain to the entire driveway?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #6

thanks, guys,,, guess my knees gave out diamond saw'd the conc into ' tiles ' but, @ 70yrs, the knees ain't what they used to be,,, another reason's my bride, nagzilla, decided what she wanted to see,,, IF there hadn't been a super sale @ macy's that day, i wouldn't have gotten as much done as we did

seriously, the knees did bother but, more importantly, we thought it set off the house more attractively than a complete stain
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (04-07-2013), Windows on Wash (04-07-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #7

I appauld you for your many years of hard work and knowledge. Although I was a career military service member I come from a heritage of pipe fitters and blacksmith.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #8

Given the incurred problems with our driveway project and in the red budget I am considering the use of a solid color. Please recommend a high quality brand for solid colors.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:18 AM   #9

did mine ( '64-'67 ) then back to civvies noticed it seems to be de rigueur lately to thank vets for their svce,,, i don't recall that back in the day,,, that may be due to today's mil being all voluntary - if so, its well deserved tnx,,, i suspect the %age of pussies in the country's male population has significantly increased post donahue/winfrey/couric daze

but i digress i'm not aware of any product that will resolve this short of an overlay,,, anything transparent isn't acceptable & the only ' blocking ' avail is from an o'lay,,, what'd rick watson say ? feel free to use y name - ' YIC-YAC 'a nick given to me by 1 of the eliteCrete distributors
sore thumb (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post

but i digress i'm not aware of any product that will resolve this short of an overlay,,, anything transparent isn't acceptable & the only ' blocking ' avail is from an o'lay,,, what'd rick watson say ? feel free to use y name - ' YIC-YAC 'a nick given to me by 1 of the eliteCrete distributors [/SIZE][/FONT]
Than you for your service during VN. My orders to that resort were cancelled. I returned after Desert Storn. Served from 1972 - 2003.

I have not called you friend. Unfortunately there is no additional money in the budget for another contractor.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #11

thought i said he's not a contractor but a distributor,,, he offers training on BECOMING an eliteCrete artisan & supplies products/experience/direction/knowledge,,, to me, that's the least expensive pathway to your resolution - becoming a dec conc artisan altho he can refer you to contractors

if ' there is no additional money in the budget ', why are you looking for solutions ?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #12

Quote:
thought i said he's not a contractor but a distributor,,, he offers training on BECOMING an eliteCrete artisan & supplies products/experience/direction/knowledge,,, to me, that's the least expensive pathway to your resolution - becoming a dec conc artisan altho he can refer you to contractors

if ' there is no additional money in the budget ', why are you looking for solutions ?
Seeking a solution for current contractor to use. His trials and difficulties are on his dime. I will pass along eliteCrete's contact info to him.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am thinking that using a solid color paint-on finish could be a last resort alternative. H&C has such but we both know it is not a high quality product.

Last edited by sore thumb; 04-08-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #13

then he'll do fine,,, bear in mind there are such things as ' undiscovered site conditions ' as a general rule,,, just because something is visible doesn't necessarily translate in apparent

i'm not aware of ANY paint suitable for pedestrian traffic let alone the demands of vehicular traffic,,, if h & c ' is not a high quality product ' as you stated, why consider it ?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #14

Quote:
then he'll do fine,,, bear in mind there are such things as ' undiscovered site conditions ' as a general rule,,, just because something is visible doesn't necessarily translate in apparent

i'm not aware of ANY paint suitable for pedestrian traffic let alone the demands of vehicular traffic,,, if h & c ' is not a high quality product ' as you stated, why consider it ?
I simply used H&C brand as an example of a product I thought you did not like. When I wrote "paint" I was referring to any "solid color water-based stain that provides long-lasting, durable and a decorative finish to concrete driveways".
Old 04-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #15

it probably has its place in the mkt but we've never used it,,, there're many fine mtls on the mkt however we found eC & stuck w/it,,, did say we made lotsa $$$ by removing/repairing/replacing H & C,,, to my knowledge, there ain't no ' solid color water-based stain ',,, there are coatings avail but nuttin' cheap that's worth a ****

cheer up - maybe another poster will come along & inform us of a newly developed silver bullet

sore thumb (04-09-2013)