Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #1

Share |

Rebar mesh done!

Check it out!

http://i47.tinypic.com/14y7tzb.jpg

You wouldn't think it, but it took HOURS to get the rebar into that shape -- the wire is too thick to get a good kink in, and getting it off the roll was a huge task.

It's in there though and tied down, on top of 18 bags of all-purpose gravel.

Should I just pour the concrete in the hole at this point? You can't see it in the picture, but the cement mixer is already in position.

tibberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #2

Rebar mesh done!

Respect to anyone who does this as their 9-5, I just poured 22 bags and between that, the rebaring and the gravel am about dead. My finish probably isn't too hot either - I needed a pole float but didn't have one so I vibrated it level and then just used the back of a shovel -- not going to be super smooth but it got to where messing with it didn't seem to be helping.

My arms are dead - dunno how I'm going to do it if the walls end up taking 30 bags or something nuts, I'm already planning to have like 10-20 extra bags on hand and then just take back what I don't need.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #3

Rebar mesh done!

So what is this going to be used for?
pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #4

Rebar mesh done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibberous View Post
Respect to anyone who does this as their 9-5, I just poured 22 bags and between that, the rebaring and the gravel am about dead. My finish probably isn't too hot either - I needed a pole float but didn't have one so I vibrated it level and then just used the back of a shovel -- not going to be super smooth but it got to where messing with it didn't seem to be helping.

My arms are dead - dunno how I'm going to do it if the walls end up taking 30 bags or something nuts, I'm already planning to have like 10-20 extra bags on hand and then just take back what I don't need.

In looking at the pic you posted,it looks like the wire mesh was laying on top of the stone fill and it also looked like it was against the dirt wall,i hope it was just an illusion,wire should have been about 2 inches off the stone,and half the thickness of the wall.

How would you like to do that for a living???
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #5

Rebar mesh done!

Im still trying to figure out what the hell this is going to be used for???
Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #6

Rebar mesh done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwgsx View Post
Im still trying to figure out what the hell this is going to be used for???
It's a water tank.

And yeah, I debated whether I should lift it up, or if the concrete would seep under the wire. I was afraid the concrete would wick into the gravel and not leave me enough to cover the rebar - looking back I should have raised it an inch or two.

The rebar is almost completely off the dirt on the sides - I'll be able to adjust it a little more once I have the form in place and can walk on it.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #7

Rebar mesh done!

A lot of work for a water tank, why not just buy a 100 gallon plastic one and be done with it. Are you storing water for the zombie attack??
IS this drinking water or for something else? How will you waterproof it and keep it from growing stuff?