Raising An Uneven Block Wall - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2013, 02:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Raising an uneven block wall

I'm trying to raise a plastered block wall in my backyard to keep the dog from nearly jumping over and terrorizing pedestrians and joggers on a path behind my house. I'll be trying to bring one side of the wall up to level, plaster over the whole top with a skim coat, then add two rows of decorative block... then paint.

I have a few issues:

First, it's uneven, so I plan on using 4" and 2" toppers to bring it up to where it's level. I've broken off the previous rounded toppers. There's old mortar on what is to be the foundation for my new levels... does this need to be completely knocked off or can I use a flat metal lath and a lot of mortar?

Second, for the part that doesn't need to be built up, should I use a corner metal lath for that part in order to get the edge to match the rest of the wall? If so, what's the best way to get the lath to stay in place?

Third, the only decorative block in my city seems to be concrete block... friggen heavy as opposed to cinder block. I'm wondering if that's too much stress for an existing old wall. Pictures of before and after below.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

bleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Raising an uneven block wall

I know very little about concrete block walls, but I do have existing similar one with decorative blocks. There are additional vertical blocks for support as shown in updated photo. And I would drive metal supports such as chain link fence poles down through the new non-decorative blocks to give them support as well. I showed those in black. You may be able to get by with half as many. And pour plenty of cement around them inside the blocks. This will give plenty of support to the decorative blocks so they don't topple. Good luck!

Raising an uneven block wall-diy-concrete-wall.jpg

Advertisement

coreyadam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cinder block wall , plaster and lathe , raise , topper