Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Raising garage floor

There doesn't seem to be much info on this and thought I'd ask. My attached garage is about 4 inches or so lower than my living area. I will be converting my garage to living space.

I needs some tips on pouring over the slab.

1.) Do I lay a membrane?
2.) Do I add joints the same as the garage floor to allow expansion?
3.) Any special forms needed where the concrete ends at the garage opening?

I search the forum and couldn't find anything. Maybe someone can direct me to a website or video?

thanks

Daugela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Raising garage floor

Why not just frame over the concrete to bring it up? Better for insulation, wiring/plumbing runs, hvac, etc.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #3

Raising garage floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
Why not just frame over the concrete to bring it up? Better for insulation, wiring/plumbing runs, hvac, etc.
Suppose I could, but I'm in Arizona. Everything is built on slab. Just doesn't get cold enough. It was 99 today...If I frame over the concrete, I'm not sure how difficult it would be to keep the framing level to accommodate the slop to the existing slab.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

Raising garage floor

You can pour a new slab over the old one---

I'm not a concrete guy--but I've seen it done---someone here will know the steps---Mike----
Old 05-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
Bill Kearney

Raising garage floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daugela View Post
If I frame over the concrete, I'm not sure how difficult it would be to keep the framing level to accommodate the slop to the existing slab.
Not much harder than any other framing. You'd just need to rip the floor joists with the slope angle. Not terribly difficult to do.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:50 AM   #6

Raising garage floor

If I were you I would frame the floor. You can go at your own pace & if you want to turn it back into a garage you just rip the floor out ( garage floors need to be lower than the living space to keep the exhaust fumes out).

By the questions you are asking you don't want to learn how to pour a garage floor in 99 deg. heat. Once the truck shows up it is game on & there's no stopping until you are done. You are worried how you going to get a wood floor flat wait to you try to get a concrete floor flat.

Since, the new floor is 4" thick I would just pour over the old one, put the joints in the same place ( unless you use a membrane), use 6" x 6" x 6/6 wire mesh , rip a 2 x 6 down to form the opening & support the 2 x 6 every 2 ft. Sounds simple & looks easy until you go to do it.
TOOL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOOL82 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-12-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #7

Raising garage floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL82 View Post
If I were you I would frame the floor. You can go at your own pace & if you want to turn it back into a garage you just rip the floor out ( garage floors need to be lower than the living space to keep the exhaust fumes out).

By the questions you are asking you don't want to learn how to pour a garage floor in 99 deg. heat. Once the truck shows up it is game on & there's no stopping until you are done. You are worried how you going to get a wood floor flat wait to you try to get a concrete floor flat.

Since, the new floor is 4" thick I would just pour over the old one, put the joints in the same place ( unless you use a membrane), use 6" x 6" x 6/6 wire mesh , rip a 2 x 6 down to form the opening & support the 2 x 6 every 2 ft. Sounds simple & looks easy until you go to do it.
I know it wouldn't be terribly hard to rip the joists, but again, since it's only 4", figured it would be best to pour over. I do however think the shallower the difference is, the more difficult the ripping would be. Especially at the beginning point.

Regardless, you write that I shouldn't do a membrane if I use the same joints. Why not a membrane? I've laid my share of walkways, etc, but not a garage and needed to be sure about any do's and don'ts. thanks
Old 05-13-2013, 03:29 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 12

Raising garage floor

w/o seeing the condition of the existing floor ( jnt pattern/random crks ), we'd recommend an unbonded overlay incl referencing existing jnt pattern into the overlay,,, might also have to increase jnts due to 4" depth but that's an on-site call,,, for membrane, 6mil plastic orroofing paper,,, we wouldn't incl wire mesh - too difficult holding @ correct elevation while conc jabonies are tramping thru all the mud
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
Bill Kearney

Raising garage floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL82 View Post
Oh man, this is dead-on right. I did a slab for a hot tub, maybe 7x10 on what was nearly the hottest day of the summer. It was all I could do to get the surface flat and cleanly finished before it started to set up. Barely got the edges smoothed. I shudder to think how much more trouble it'd be to do a garage-sized area.

I would absolutely lean toward hiring a crew to do it right. But then I'd rather frame up something like this instead.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 6

Raising garage floor

"I did a slab for a hot tub, maybe 7x10 on what was nearly the hottest day of the summer. It was all I could do to get the surface flat and cleanly finished before it started to set up. Barely got the edges smoothed. I shudder to think how much more trouble it'd be to do a garage-sized area. "

The simple solution to pouring on hot summer days is to have your supplier add a retarder,but then you have to know about these things,and ask if you don't know,that's what these forums are for.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #11

Raising garage floor

I hired that very job done to my 2 car garage back in 1983. No way I wanted to tackle it. The guys did a good job, added reinforced steel wire and finished it out smooth. I closed it in, added an AC and never looked back. I had built a three car garage in the back yard so closing in the garage and bringing the slab up to grade level turned out nice.
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #12

Raising garage floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
I hired that very job done to my 2 car garage back in 1983. No way I wanted to tackle it. The guys did a good job, added reinforced steel wire and finished it out smooth. I closed it in, added an AC and never looked back. I had built a three car garage in the back yard so closing in the garage and bringing the slab up to grade level turned out nice.
Did you have an issue with ceiling height?