Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #1

Share |

raised concrete slab porch

my concrete guy is replacing the slab on my raised porch. he has said he will put some kind of expansion joint between house and slab and saw cuts along the porch. The original slab was poured right up to the bricks and had no saw cuts.
My question is, does it need saw cuts or the expansion joint? I guess the joint makes sense, but I can not recall ever seeing saw cuts on any raised slab porch
Attached Thumbnails
raised concrete slab porch-2012-05-17-15.02.38.jpg  

Last edited by tootie; 05-17-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: add pic
tootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #2

I also didn't mention that when I asked about how my concrete would be cured he told me I could just spray it with water once the following day and nothing more would be required. Which is why I am asking question now. I will be keeping my new concrete watered continuously for a week or more. any advice on a good wetting method would be appreciated also.

Last edited by tootie; 05-17-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #3

Yes to using expansion joint and saw cutting.
Saw cutting will relieve the pad from stress,as for curing,have him spray "Cure and Seal" on it if you want to keep it wet you can use an old blanket soaked with water.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ravenworks For This Useful Post:
tootie (05-19-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenworks View Post
Yes to using expansion joint and saw cutting.
Saw cutting will relieve the pad from stress,as for curing,have him spray "Cure and Seal" on it if you want to keep it wet you can use an old blanket soaked with water.
I agree 100%........

When it comes to wet-curing with water, it's really "easier said than done", especially with most people's hectic lives in today's day & age. "Getting the slab wet" does nothing, the reality is that the slab needs to stay completely saturated for a few days minimum. If it is allowed to dry out for even a few minutes, there's no gain by applying water again. To complicate things even more, to cure with water optimally, you have to be careful with water temps. Too cold of water on a warm concrete substrate can lead to "thermal shock", which has the potential to create even more negative issues. Long story short, a curing compound is generally the most feasible approach........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
tootie (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #5

If I use cure and seal would i have to strip it off later to stain the concrete? i had been thinking running a water hose suspended afew iches with misting heads. i wasn't sure when two start or if the concrete would been firm enough that i wouldnt have to suspend the hose. i didn't think of temp. but it hasn't gotten very hot here yet, could be high 80's by the time they pour though

Last edited by tootie; 05-19-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie View Post
If I use cure and seal would i have to strip it off later to stain the concrete? i had been thinking running a water hose suspended afew iches with misting heads. i wasn't sure when two start or if the concrete would been firm enough that i wouldnt have to suspend the hose. i didn't think of temp. but it hasn't gotten very hot here yet, could be high 80's by the time they pour though

I too have never seen a porch with control joints sawn.

Your idea of water curing is a good one,and you can start the day after it's poured,as to your question of a curing compound,you cannot stain the concrete if you use curing compound or a sealer.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
tootie (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
I too have never seen a porch with control joints sawn.

Your idea of water curing is a good one,and you can start the day after it's poured,as to your question of a curing compound,you cannot stain the concrete if you use curing compound or a sealer.
Does anyone know why you didn't need or don't see the the saw cuts in the old raised slab porches, but now it seems, at least according to all I've asked, it is a must?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Yes, you would need to strip all the sealer in it's entirety if you desire to use an etching stain at a later point. If you really want the color, I'd recommend using a colored concrete right away.

Quote:
Does anyone know why you didn't need or don't see the the saw cuts in the old raised slab porches, but now it seems, at least according to all I've asked, it is a must?
If the porch was large enough (you're certainly was/is) it always would have benefited from control joints, either sawn or tooled in. I can only speculate as to why they weren't done years ago: concrete saws were rare and slow without diamond blades, folks were less picky about random cracking the contractors believed wet curing would reduce shrinkage enough that joints weren't necessary,etc......
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
tootie (05-22-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:

It's not really a must, and i personally think control joints,sawn or hand tooled on a porch just do not look good,a much better solution would be to use a shrinkage compensating cement as opposed to type 1 portland cement,it's readily available all over the country,but i guess not to many contractors know it even exists,it would save a lot of work hand tooling and sawing joints.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
tootie (05-22-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #10

Quote:
a much better solution would be to use a shrinkage compensating cement as opposed to type 1 portland cement.
We know about it,do you know how much more that mix is a yard?
When they did my drive the guys wanted to broom it,I said no way I want it hand floated with a swirl,they got paid for it.
The bottom line,if your finisher is good the job is pleasing to look at.
I second the idea of having the color added at the plant,but ask before hand some plants don't like adding it to their trucks.
tootie (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #11

Quote:
We know about it,do you know how much more that mix is a yard?
When they did my drive the guys wanted to broom it,I said no way I want it hand floated with a swirl,they got paid for it.
The bottom line,if your finisher is good the job is pleasing to look at.
I second the idea of having the color added at the plant,but ask before hand some plants don't like adding it to their trucks.

No i don't know how much it is now,but you can inquire at your supplier.

As to adding color at the plant,it is very expensive because of how much more color is required to mix through the entire load,then when the truck returns to the yard a complete washout of the drum is required until no more color comes out,which can take quite a while to do and the customer is charged for truck and driver while this is being done.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #12

Quote:
No i don't know how much it is now,but you can inquire at your supplier.

As to adding color at the plant,it is very expensive because of how much more color is required to mix through the entire load,then when the truck returns to the yard a complete washout of the drum is required until no more color comes out,which can take quite a while to do and the customer is charged for truck and driver while this is being done.
I think you are mixing up non shrink grout with concrete,I asked our engineer about it today and he laughed at me.
As for the color added at the plant,you get what you pay for, paying the truck time,at the most, would be $100 extra.
As I said before,some plants will do it and some won't.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #13

Quote:
I think you are mixing up non shrink grout with concrete,I asked our engineer about it today and he laughed at me.
As for the color added at the plant,you get what you pay for, paying the truck time,at the most, would be $100 extra.
As I said before,some plants will do it and some won't.

All i can say is he must be a real idiot if he's never heard of it,and some engineer,hope i never have to be in a building he's worked on.

I worked for a redi-mix producer in the redi-mix industry for 35 years and we provided thousands of yards for water reservoir's and cooling towers over the years, it's pretty common and it's not new,i wonder where that guy went to school,i'll include a link you can print out for him,maybe he'll learn something.

http://www.ctscement.com/TypeK.asp
Old 05-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
Concrete & Masonry

Not all plants have Type III cement, or anything other than Type I & high-early for that matter, available in a silo at all times. As a matter of fact, I'd consider Type III to be a rarity in most of the country, especially in residential work. If I had to guess, I'd say that 99.95% of residential concrete poured in the US is simple Type I portland cement based. It's far cheaper and safer in the long run to cut/install control joints than it is to seek out a non-typical cement and process IMPO.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #15
World's Tallest Midget

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Not all plants have Type III cement, or anything other than Type I & high-early for that matter
Type III is Hi Early.

Most ready mix companies will be able to put in a shrinkage reducing admixture (ours is called Eclipse), instead of the special cement. Just make sure they have the air friendly version, some of those really mess with the air. You can have the exact same load and one will be fine, and for no reason the next load tests at 12% air entrainment. Even our chemical reps had a hard time figuring that one out.

And we WILL put color in, the drivers don't really like to because of the extra work involved (all pays the same, I say). I just b***h when I have to put lamp black in (powder color), because it gets everywhere.

Mort is offline   Reply With Quote