Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2012, 02:45 AM   #1

Share |

Is quikrete mortar mix fine for filling holes in bricks?

Hi, used quikrete once in my life so I have little experience with it. Basically, I've been replacing a bunch of frost proof sillcocks/spigots for my parents that have gone bad for various reasons (some burst, some were leaking, etc). Couldn't really find good repair parts since they were really old sillcocks and had weird designs, so just bought new sillcocks all together and installed them.

The last sillcock I need to replace has one small issue. When I removed the old sillcock, the hole that was made into the house to put the sillcock in (house is brick) was made really big and irregular so I can't just drill holes and put in anchors and screws to hold the new sillcock in, the hole is just too wide. So I figured I would just cement the new sillcock in with some quikrete mix (all the old sillcocks were cemented in actually, but I was just using anchors and screws for the new ones just because it is easier and less messy).

The house is brick, and I would like the cement to adhere well to both the brick and the sillcock if possible. I may even drill holes into the cement patch I make to further anchor the sillcock in with anchors and screws so it really won't move.

What quikrete is best for this job? Is the quikrete mortar mix fine, or do I need some other kind? It doesn't have to be pretty, just functional.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by amodoko; 11-14-2012 at 02:47 AM.
amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #2

I just make a 5-1/2 X 5-1/5 block out of PVC lumber to mount it to.
Attach the plate to the wall with Tap-Con screws.
By doing it that way the screws are far way from the hole and will not bust out the morter or brick.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
amodoko (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #3

Regular QC mortar is fine.
amodoko (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys, I do appreciate them. Also, never even thought about using pvc lumber to mount the sillcock to, that's a great idea!
amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote