Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #1

Share |

Quick quikrete question for the concrete experts

I bought the 80lb yellow bags of quikrete for footings for a deck. I know that I can pour the red bags (fast setting) in holes dry and then just add water but can I pour 2 80lb yellow bags in a hole dry and just soak it down with water? When mixing it in a wheelbarrow it seems pretty hard for the water to get to it all and the stuff at the bottom stays dry until I flip it all over a few times and add more water. What do you guys think? Will gravity pull the water threw all the dry mix? Same goes when I set the posts on top of that and add another couple bags around the post itself.

I asked this in my deck thread but I thought someone here would know more about the stuff and it doesn't say on the quikrete website.

Last edited by nikeman; 03-03-2013 at 01:40 PM.
nikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #2

It will work to some extent, but will not provide results comparable to the red bag material nor to mixing this material correctly. This material is not as hydroscopic as the material intended for direct placement. Water may never reach the middle of the hole in sufficient quantities. It's really not that difficult to mix up a couple of bags in a wheelbarrow and certainly not worth the risk of doing it correctly!

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

I agree with Msradell. Soaking dry mix concrete has several drawbacks. First, you are unlikely to get close to the optimum mix ratio of water to concrete mix. Second, you are unlikely to get uniform water penetration into the concrete, which will lead to weak spots in the concrete. This can lead to strength and longevity problems. If you are having trouble mixing in a wheelbarrow, rent a concrete mixer.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (03-06-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #4

No, no, a thousand times no. There is a reason that concrete specifications require mechanical mixing for a specified period. "Wetting in" concrete is a waste of money, just back fill with dirt, since you will achieve a better compressive strength by doing so than you will by pouring water on dry concrete mix.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

If your having an issue with mixing in a wheelbarrow, etc.... it works much better to put the water in first and add the concrete mix until you get the consistency you desire. No need to deal with dry material "stuck" on the bottom this way.......
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #6

Thanks! Glad I asked. Is it okay to pour mixed concrete in as a footing, let it cure, then put a post on top and pour more concrete around it? Or is it better to pour the footing, put post on top and then pour more around post while its all still wet?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
World's Tallest Midget

The second thing. That way, you'll have one solid block instead of one block on top of another one.
Mort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #8

umm. are you not supposed to have the post set on gravel. then pour the concrete around it ? i think, yes. as that leaves a drain for the water that is going to get in the hole.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it
umm. are you not supposed to have the post set on gravel. then pour the concrete around it ? i think, yes. as that leaves a drain for the water that is going to get in the hole.
I'm building by code and it says that I have to pour and 8" thick layer in the hole, post on top of that, then another 8" thick layer. Gravel does seen better but code does not mention gravel.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #10

quik/sak/gawda'mighty crete are the reasons most buy conc hoes ( a tool, not ykw ! ) failing that, garden ho' works fine
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #11

my neighbor dug holes for his deck. he then put bags and water in the hole. and was mixing as he went. i couldn't see it very well. but from what i could tell, it was mixing well(enough).

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote