Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #1

Share |

Questions on which to do first,gazebo footing or pavers?

First off, this seems to be a great place and I'm totally new here. Long story short my wife and I jumped many flaming hoops to get our own house, a new construction to be more specific. The house will be done in mid Sept so I've been planning out my the landscape for my backyard.

I'm planning on having about 700sqt feet of the yard paved, and a 6-sides gazebo bulit on the paved surface. I know for sure there will be concrete footings for my gazebo, so here are my two main questions:

1) Should I have the gazebo post planted in the concrete or would concrete anchors be adequate. I like to ability to remove the gazebo if there was ever a need with anchors, but it's not a must.

2) Should I build the gazebo first prior to doing teh site prep for pavers? I

My initial plan was to site prep for paver, getting a nice foundation going, then pour the concrete footings, lay pavers then build the gazebo. But I'm not sure that would be the correct course of actions.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I'm trying not to creat too many threads about the same topic. Thanks and have a great day.
Vince82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #2

I would do the concrete foundation for the gazebo first
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #3

1) Should I have the gazebo post planted in the concrete or would concrete anchors be adequate. I like to ability to remove the gazebo if there was ever a need with anchors, but it's not a must.

Wood should never be encased in concrete.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post

I've been reading on this site and it seems like this was debated over many times. While embedded post offer more strength, I know they will rot over time. Are these anchors that strong?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post

And it really shouldn't touch it.
jsbuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince82 View Post
I've been reading on this site and it seems like this was debated over many times. While embedded post offer more strength, I know they will rot over time. Are these anchors that strong?

I'd use simpson ties,they are top of the line.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #7

IF anchors are good enough for coastal bldg codes, they certainly will work for a gazebo absent hurricanes/tornadoes in which case 1 would best bend over & grab ankles no matter what anchor was used calculating wind uplift force will determine how many columns & hurricane anchors are rqd.

just thought of this - which came 1st - your very fine home's foundation OR the 1st floor ?

ps - not knowing where your very fine home's located means you get generic responses which may not be applicable to your inquiry

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #8

http://www.lowes.com/pd_108734-72913...n%20Strong-Tie

are these what you guys are talking about?
The Following User Says Thank You to Vince82 For This Useful Post:
itsreallyconc (04-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #9

Yup,that's them.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #10

I myself prefer one of these ...... http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...A-ABU-ABW.asp# the other one has to be pretty exact on with it's placement. The ones I linked will allow some wiggle room as you can drill you concrete to set your threaded rod where it needs to go.

just my opinion

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
I myself prefer one of these ...... http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...A-ABU-ABW.asp# the other one has to be pretty exact on with it's placement. The ones I linked will allow some wiggle room as you can drill you concrete to set your threaded rod where it needs to go.

just my opinion

Wiggle room is good,we all need some.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #12

I know I do .... LOL

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #13

Why are you going to pave the area where you are installing the gazebo? Is it gazebo not going to have a floor so the paving will become the floor? If that's not the case and the gazebo is going to have a separate wood floor don't worry about paving underneath it, that's just a waste of money. Just put in the footings, build the gazebo and then if you want to, pave around it.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Why are you going to pave the area where you are installing the gazebo? Is it gazebo not going to have a floor so the paving will become the floor? If that's not the case and the gazebo is going to have a separate wood floor don't worry about paving underneath it, that's just a waste of money. Just put in the footings, build the gazebo and then if you want to, pave around it.
You are right, the gazebo is not going to have a floor so the paving will become the floor.