Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #1

Share |

Questions about support for a raised subfloor

Hi,
this is my first post. The roof over the garage also covers our laundry area that is adjacent to the two car garage area. The attached photo shows the laundry room from inside the garage. Sorry about the mess, but we just moved in and everything is in disarray. Note that there is a large area beyond the laundry room that is not part of the usual area where you park cars. I'd like to use that space for another tv room - "the man cave" if you will.
So, if you look at the photo, you can see that the existing subfloor for the laundry area is about five feet off of the garage floor. I want to build a support structure such that the floor continues to fill that space of the garage. The thing I don't know is whether the footings for the outer garage wall are enough to support the floor. I expect they were created with the idea of supporting only the garage walls, but I don't know that for sure. I will want to keep that crawl space under the new room available for
storing things. I'll need to figure out how to build up some cinderblock columns or maybe columns made from quick tubes? Can that be done?
Can anyone assist with how I can go about installing the joists, support structure and subfloor?

thank you.

Last edited by jeff_h; 09-09-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: I left an incomplete sentence at the end.
jeff_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #2

I attached the photo again. Hope it saves this time. It's only 81.5k.
By the way, this section of the garage that I want to use for the new room has the usual garage floor
beneath it. I didn't know whether if I put a cinderblock support column in the middle of it, whether it would
be properly supported by the concrete floor. Would like advice on that. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Questions about support for a raised subfloor-p1000484.jpg  

Last edited by jeff_h; 09-09-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_h View Post
Hi,
this is my first post. The roof over the garage also covers our laundry area that is adjacent to the two car garage area. The attached photo shows the laundry room from inside the garage. Sorry about the mess, but we just moved in and everything is in disarray. Note that there is a large area beyond the laundry room that is not part of the usual area where you park cars. I'd like to use that space for another tv room - "the man cave" if you will.
So, if you look at the photo, you can see that the existing subfloor for the laundry area is about five feet off of the garage floor. I want to build a support structure such that the floor continues to fill that space of the garage. The thing I don't know is whether the footings for the outer garage wall are enough to support the floor. I expect they were created with the idea of supporting only the garage walls, but I don't know that for sure. I will want to keep that crawl space under the new room available for
storing things. I'll need to figure out how to build up some cinderblock columns or maybe columns made from quick tubes? Can that be done?
Can anyone assist with how I can go about installing the joists, support structure and subfloor?

thank you.

What in the world would you store under the floor,and why do you need support columns,just frame it out on the existing floor and be done with it.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #4

cut the drywall out on the laundry wall where the floor joists are. snap level line or use a laser level to mark the same height on the opposite wall. mount your 2x? on each end. install hangers and cut your floor joists to fit. lag bolt a ledger the the long wall level with the others. install subfloor. fram your wall and put in door and steps. i am assuming you will enter from the garage, if not open laundry wall and frame for the new door.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
What in the world would you store under the floor,and why do you need support columns,just frame it out on the existing floor and be done with it.
It is a possibility to do that, but I don't gain anything by having a very high
ceiling and stairs going down to it from the laundry. In fact I wouldn't be able to reach the existing garage window from the garage floor, just as is true now, but if I created a room, I'd like to be able to get to that window.
The entry will be from the upstairs laundry and not from the garage directly. Storage would not be ideal, but it would be storage on a concrete floor and I have plenty of stuff that can go in there. Unlike my last house, there is no attic entry from the garage.
It will also be a very often used room, and I'd like not to have to get to it from the unconditioned air of the garage.
However, I haven't ruled out the floor being on the garage floor level. I'm weighing the pros and cons at the moment.

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
cut the drywall out on the laundry wall where the floor joists are. snap level line or use a laser level to mark the same height on the opposite wall. mount your 2x? on each end. install hangers and cut your floor joists to fit. lag bolt a ledger the the long wall level with the others. install subfloor. fram your wall and put in door and steps. i am assuming you will enter from the garage, if not open laundry wall and frame for the new door.
Hi Danny,
that's what I'd do, but I'm not sure about the stability of connecting the 2x8 joists over to the garage wall that only has 2x4 studs in it. I was guessing that per code I would have to build up cinder blocks on the opposite wall with a plate on top. I just didn't know whether the existing footings were built to support the weight of a room. I am tempted to do what CanaryWood suggested, but I'd need to at least create a raised floor over some moisture barrier to get off of ground level; I would think. I was tempted to just install a heated tile floor over the garage floor. But, again I'd wonder the possibility of flooding bringing water into the garage and then into that room. I realize that would be pretty rare if ever, but this is a flood zone of sorts. By the way, this is Savannah, GA for the sake of whatever codes might apply.

Thanks and I'm curious if anyone has comments about how I'd connect the joists over on the garage side wall.