Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #1

Share |

Question about using granite scraps for a fireplace.

Hi,

I have a basically unlimited supply of granite pieces, which measure anywhere from 2" - 6" wide and up to 2' long. These are obviously left overs from granite kitchens and baths.

I was thinking about using them to fix up my existing gas fireplace area. This fireplace is framed right onto the foundation of the house, so I think it can hold the weight easily. The gas line is accessible from a crawl space right below it also. Here is a picture of my fireplace.

So I have two questions:
1. What can I use to stick these pieces onto the backer board? I am planning on using cement board. I was also thinking about using a wall mastic, since this is not a slab of granite, but instead more like VERY heavy granite tiles. What would you do?

2. The inset of my fireplace sticks out about 2 feet from the house, so I'm wondering if I need some additional support? I can definitely get underneath the area to frame in a 45 degree 4x4" support which would attach to the outside of the house and rest on the foundation.

Any other tips and advice, or snags I could run into would be appreciated. I am not trying to cut these granite pieces down in any way, as it would defeat the purpose and spirit of my project!

MRbozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #2

Mr,
what areas are you planning on covering? There is a special thinset made for applying natural stone to vertical surfaces. It has more grip to it so the pieces won't have a tendency to sag. They will still need to be supported to make sure they don't sag while the thinset is setting up. I would NOT use a wall mastic for what you are planning on doing. Is the brick wall pretty flat? Not so sure you couldn't go right over the brick. I will defer to one of the tile experts that are on the forum here. Jazzman, got your ears on?
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Mr,
what areas are you planning on covering? There is a special thinset made for applying natural stone to vertical surfaces. It has more grip to it so the pieces won't have a tendency to sag. They will still need to be supported to make sure they don't sag while the thinset is setting up. I would NOT use a wall mastic for what you are planning on doing. Is the brick wall pretty flat? Not so sure you couldn't go right over the brick. I will defer to one of the tile experts that are on the forum here. Jazzman, got your ears on?
Mike Hawkins
Hi jazzman,

I am covering all of the brick you see, and the mantle will be a thicker piece of wood. The brick wall is very flat, and stable. The whole inset you see can hold me and my wife, or around 300 pounds extra, on top of the brick. The whole shebang is about 50 sq ft, so imagine 3/4" granite x 50 sq ft, and it seems very heavy to me. Can I support it with two large pieces of plywood, pressed against opposite walls, with a jackstand in between, putting pressure on both pieces of plywood at the same time? How about the under support? I would imagine that 50 sq ft of granite weighs at least 500 pounds (10 pounds/ sq ft).

I was actually going to take the brick out (due to weight issues) but if I can go right over it, that would save me quite the headache. It would even be worth it to add the support underneath, and just go over the brick. It would save me a ton of work, dust, and noise in my living room. Any idea what the name of that product is called that can hold the granite on a vertical wall? Thanks!
MRbozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #4

That is not a fireplace, it is a wood stove surround. You can thinset the granite directly to the brick.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
There is a special thinset made for applying natural stone to vertical surfaces.

Wouldn't that be mastic?

http://www.diynetwork.com/videos/mos...ace/60066.html
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2k View Post
Although Bostik does make a mastic for stone, that's not what I was refering to. This is a link for Bostik's site. The product I was talking about is called 'Stone wall' and is pictured below.

http://www.bostik-us.com/market-prod...roment-ceramic

Mike Hawkins
Attached Images

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote