Question About Staining Concrete In My Den - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Question about staining concrete in my den

I recently purchased a home with a sunken den that I removed carpet from. After removing tack strips, the nails pulled up some of the concrete and I know that must be patched prior to staining. There are also a few minor glue marks that I can clean, hopefully.

For the most part the floors are fairly smooth but there is a section or two thats kind of rough, textured like a sidewalk would be but nothing too horrible. Should this be sanded/grinded smooth prior to staining or is a little texture ok for interior floors?

Any recommendations on good cleaning and patching products to fill the tack strip chips?

Advertisement

not4sakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 640

Every flaw, stain, patch will show up when staining the concrete.
It would also have to be etched with acid.
Concider having a pro concrete finisher take a look at it or go to plan B on a differnt type of flooring.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I dont mind thoroughly cleaning, etching, or buffing the floor if necessary. I'm just wondering if all minor imperfections must be fixed first or if you can simply stain over them. I understand they'll show through, but does it really matter? Some people choose to leave minor cracks because it adds character and gives it a worn look.
not4sakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Every flaw, stain, patch will show up when staining the concrete.
It would also have to be etched with acid.
Concider having a pro concrete finisher take a look at it or go to plan B on a differnt type of flooring.
If it's being stained with an acid stain, that's the last thing he'd want to do.............
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote