Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #1

Share |

putting down pavers for walkway

I am having my driveway paved and decided against paving the walkway since it goes over the drain field just a little. I got them to prep the area and they put down the really fine black gravel stuff and leveled it out for me. Now, how do I properly put down some pavers? We are looking at some rubberish type 18"x18" square pavers at home depot. I don't want them to move and I don't want to worry about grass and weeds growing there. I also want the entire walkway covered and not the stepping stone affect.

nikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #2
JOATMON

This is going to take a few beers....I just did the back of my house in about 250 sq ft.

You need a solid base....the less disturbed the soil...the better.

2-3" of gravel....at least 1" or more of sand.

Get it level and flat with a long straight 2x4.

And it's worth the money to rent a roller....you fill it with water and roll the area.

You don't need a weed block....the gravel and sand is enough...Any grass or weed come from seeds that blow in between the cracks....

So.....you use a special sand...it's really fine....and when it gets wet it basically turns to concrete...well...almost. At least it prevents the seeds from growing.

Click on the link in my sig and go to the last page...I posted some pics of it.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:02 PM   #3

Special sand: polymeric.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #4

The asphalt people are doing the prep for me so it should be easy right? They have the big roller machine that they are gonna compact the driveway with also. Do I just lay the pavers down and jump on them? Lol

putting down pavers for walkway-forumrunner_20140417_082340.jpg

They took the bobcat and graded it down a good 2-3“ and then spread that fine black gravel/sand which is at least 3" thick.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #5

They will need edging to keep them in place, as well as a hand tamping. and a polymeric sand treatment.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #6

They went over everything with the roller and its pretty solid. It does need a border though. Any ideas on that?

Step by step for the paver project from this point would be great also. I'd like to do it right the first time for once! Lol

putting down pavers for walkway-forumrunner_20140417_100604.jpg

putting down pavers for walkway-forumrunner_20140417_100630.jpg
Old 04-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #7

OK no rush on the pavers any more. They have to dig up a large section that is really soft and pour more of the gravel before they pave. Gonna be a couple weeks before they come back but I still need the help for when it is done.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
We are looking at some rubberish type 18"x18" square pavers at home depot. I don't want them to move and I don't want to worry about grass and weeds growing there.
Not my area of expertise, but not sure that these two statements go together. Seems like anything that can flex is going to eventually not lay flat, and would almost certainly allow vegetation to come through. But I can't picture them either, so may be too hung up on "rubberish".
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #9

The polymeric sand is great....but grass/weeds WILL make their way through it....albeit a lot slower than just sand. To keep them from moving, you MUST have a restraining barrier around the outside of the walk, e.g. Edging. While you will find do-it-yourself advice that says edging after pavers, it is way easier with edging first. And guess what?? Edging is expensive!! But luckily all decent paver places sell it! So if you have a decent gravel draining base, then it is the edging and paver base as instructed by the mfgr.p. Most I've seen call for putting a couple of lengths of 1 1/2" conduit lengthwise in the walkway, covering them over with sand, and then using them as guides to screed it off. Pull out, fill sand in the cavities, move up the walkway and repeat. Pavers set in that bed, multiple taps with rubber mallet to get them in. Polermic sand, done and done. Ron

ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote