Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #1

Share |

Putting in concrete pad on side of house and found this....

Replacing driveway and running an extension up the side of the house and found that the conduit for the electric stops right below where the soil was. Checked with some people and was told that when the house was built this was standard thing to do. What is the proper way to lay concrete around the wires? Do I get a large plastic pipe and cut enough out of it to slide around the wires to protect them? I am worried about maintenance issues later down the road if the wires ever need to be replaced. When installed the pad will be above the existing conduit but below the siding by about 3 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Putting in concrete pad on side of house and found this....-wires.jpg  

Speckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #2

IF it were mine, i'd do 'zactly that where's the source of the wire ?

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #3

if it were me I might consider running the wires (do you know where they go?) inside of plastic pipe before placing the concrete for your driveway. this way in the future it would be easy to pull new wires through the pipe. at least for that portion that is under the driveway

just a thought ...... good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

I would be careful when working around them while live. Probably would be best to trench out, so that you can have an electrician come in and back pull them back to where the power company feed is, and run conduit, then pull the wires back through the conduit.

As for that Ground wire, it appears to just be hanging in the air at this moment, not attached to any ground rod.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
As for that Ground wire, it appears to just be hanging in the air at this moment, not attached to any ground rod.

It also should be protected. The connection point also has to be accessable.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #6

Thanks for the input guys. That ground wire is actually attached to the rod. For some reason there is a lot of slack in it. I thought I would move it a little closer to the wires and have it inside my " protected" area. I have decide to go with a piece of pipe around the existing wires starting where the conduit ends and going a couple inches below the concrete. Then installing a second much larger pipe - 8-10 inches cut in half - as the form which the concrete will butt up against. This way there is no movement against the wires when the concrete heaves.
Speckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #7

' when the concrete heaves. ' why would you anticipate / expect conc to ' heave ' ? ? ?
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
' when the concrete heaves. ' why would you anticipate / expect conc to ' heave ' ? ? ?
In northern climates when the ground freezes it expands and pushes things up. The water shutoff valve for my house is in the apron of my driveway. Well, the standpipe for it is. The valve is 5' under it. Anyway, the cap is flush during the summer time and about 2" lower than the driveway during the winter. That is how high my driveway heaves during the winter
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpik View Post
In northern climates when the ground freezes it expands and pushes things up. The water shutoff valve for my house is in the apron of my driveway. Well, the standpipe for it is. The valve is 5' under it. Anyway, the cap is flush during the summer time and about 2" lower than the driveway during the winter. That is how high my driveway heaves during the winter
Hope you have a sleeve in the concrete, that allows the pavement to move up and down, without doing any damage to the piping going through.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote