Proper Way To Parge Coat? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
Demolition Mode

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to HandyDave

Proper Way to Parge Coat?

I have an old outbuilding that had some of the mortar and stone stone that was exposed and flaking off. I cleaned up the stone area and re mortared (using mortar mix) the areas that needed repair. I would now like to put a "thin coat" over the whole foundation to make it look uniform and cover the other hairline cracks.

What is the best way to do this? Do i need to trowel the mortar on or can i mix it thin enough and apply with a brush?

Is there a better and quicker product then mixing mortar and applying?

What is the best way to repair this?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Proper Way to Parge Coat?-dsc_1273web.jpg   Proper Way to Parge Coat?-dsc_1274web.jpg   Proper Way to Parge Coat?-dsc_1275web.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by HandyDave; 04-19-2012 at 06:52 AM. Reason: added resized images
HandyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 152

This is def a project you can easily tackle yourself. There is a product that you mix with water and apply. It is similar to stucco mix. Sorry i cannot think of what its called at the moment but it does exist. I personally would just use mortar especially if you already have it. Just use a darby trowel to evenly apply the mortar on the wall. Make sure the wall is very clean of and debris or loose mortar. Apply roughly a 3/16 inch parge and sponge finish to make it smooth and even. You can ever use a wet scrubbing pad.

Hope this helps

Advertisement

TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Demolition Mode

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to HandyDave

Thank you...I was starting to wonder if anyone was out there? I read somwhere that i needed to take a grinder to the cracks and make them a lil bit wider is this true?
HandyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 152

Yes you can do this as well. Grinding can extend the life of the wall by allowing more mortar to penetrate the surface. In the end the crack will come back but you should have a good while before that happens.

As i look at the pictures again, i wouldnt worry about it trying to grind out those hundreds of micro cracks. Just make sure there isnt any loose concrete hanging there. Grinding would be done primarily for larger, more substantial cracks which i dont really see.

Last edited by TRUEPRO; 04-24-2012 at 01:51 PM.
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote