Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
DIYer

Share |
Question

Prepping humped garage floor for 2-post lift

I am framing/insulating/installing walls in my 1965 concrete block wall 2-car garage. I am planning to use Epoxy Coat with chips on the floor. I have a couple issues I am facing and could use some advice.

I have a large hump in the center of one of the two parking spaces (roughly 2 ft x 3 ft x 0.5 inches) that I plan to grind down with an EDCO grinder. There are no large cracks in the slab and no seam like you see in newer garages.

I drilled the floor to determine the depth because I plan to install a 6000-9000 lb lift eventually. I broke through the concrete at 3.5". Lift mfrs require 4 inches minimum depth of 3000 psi concrete. I will need to cut out two lift pads and repour those roughly 3 ft x 3 ft x 6-12 inches deep to be safe. Many others have done this successfully.

Should I paint the floor before I put up the walls or after?

I was thinking I should do the entire floor first (grinding, cut/repour/cure, cleaning, priming, & epoxy paint) so that I can put the framing for the walls on a floor that is sealed and finished. BUT then I have to worry about tearing up the floor and spilling paint and other crap on it while building the walls.

The wife says it will be a long time before I get around to installing the lift so I should wait on doing the repour until I'm ready to install the lift. That means doing the grinding, cleaning, prep, and paint process twice. Obviously the second job would be much smaller than the whole 500 sq ft slab. It will be a minimum of a year before I buy the lift. I'm planning to do all the work myself. The garage rehab will take me 4 to 6 months to complete.

What's best?
mystic_cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #2

Makes more since to me to grind the floor, cut out for the footings and pore them. Build the walls and finish out the room and do any painting last. Better yet wait until the lifts in place.
You always should start at the top and work your way down so the floor does not get messed up.
Pressure treated bottom plates could care less if the floors sealed or not.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
DIYer

Thanks, Joe. What you say makes sense. I guess I should think of this project as if I was building from scratch, right? Put it together in the same order a pro builder would. Sound right?
Old 08-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #4

Hey Mystic,
have you picked out a lift yet, and if so, did you check their tech specs for cutting out the floor like you are talking about doing? I did a lot of searching before deciding on a lift before we poured the cement slab in a new addition to my separate garage. I did notice that different lift manufacturers had different requiremens for slab thickness, cutting out and replacing sections, etc. If you haven't, I would do that first before you decide what to do for the concrete. I ended up with a Bendpak 10,000 asymetrical lift. I poured the center section of the slab 6" thick, which was overkill but I didn't want any issues with it. My son and I installed it mostly in a half day. Had to finish wiring the next dy. It works great, lifts my ford 3/4 ton extended van full of tools with no problem. Double check ceiling height requirments too.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
DIYer

Thanks, Mike. I am leaning towards the Bendpak XPR9 primarily due to its low height and my 9 ft ceiling. It appears that most of the smallish lifts need 4" of 3000 psi concrete. I would do what most others do and go with 5000 psi and 8+ inches thick to handle just about anything. I have not seen any requirements concerning the size of the pads so I was just using forums members guidance. The difference in the cost of concrete from one to two yards and from 3000 psi to 5000 psi is tiny.
I do have some flexibility with the height as my roof rafters go parallel to the lift top so I could cut into the drywall ceiling and put the top of the lift in the attic between the rafters.