Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #1

Share |

Polymeric sand in paver walkway

I'm installing a new paver walkway ... see my previous thread here for background. I have most of the pavers installed, and I'll be ready to install the polymeric sand in a couple weeks. So I have a few questions about the polymeric sand.

For background, the walkway is about 100 feet long and the total paver area is about 425 square feet. Pavers are Cambridge "RoundTable" that are 2.25 inch thick. The spacing between them is about 5/32" on average, I guess. I plan to fill the joints just in the narrow gap between the pavers ... and not fill at all up the curved areas at the top of these pavers. See attached photo of typical area.
Question #1: How many lbs of polymeric sand should I buy? I have asked the proprietors at several mason supply stores, and their estimates have varied all over the map, from 150 lbs to 450 lbs! The Techniseal calculator here says I need 300 lbs (6 sacks at 50 lbs each). I don't want to run out, because I'll use a rented compactor and I want to get the compacting job done in one shot. So should I buy say 450 lbs, and expect to return the extra 150 lbs that I don't expect to use? (Yes it is returnable at the shop where I plan to buy it.)

Question #2: Do I need to protect the pavers from damage from the vibrating steel plate of the compactor? I don't want to scratch the pavers! Someone suggested putting a piece of old carpet under the compactor, but won't this reduce the effectiveness? Someone else said some compactors have plastic bottoms, but this one is steel.
Thanks for your comments!

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Polymeric sand in paver walkway-120730-progress-photo-p1270891-low-res.jpg  

Andy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Answer #1: Usually, the manufacturer is real close on their estimate of material needed, and tend to lean on the safe/heavy side. If you don't mind returning a bag or two though, why not but extra???

Answer #2: They make a 1/2" or so thick rubber mat that connects directly to the compactor, it doesn't get any easier than that. See if the place you're renting from has one available. If not, you could attempt to rig some scrap carpet onto the compactor, but IMO, the rubber does a much nicer job. ANd Yes, you really do want to use something as a cushion between the pavers & compactor, as they have a tenancy to not only scratch the pavers, but even crack some of them if they're not set very level.

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #3

jomama, thanks for your answers!

Andy
Old 08-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #4

Does anyone have comments about the brands of polymeric sand?

The local masonry supply shops carry:
  • SandLock
  • StableBlock
  • QuickCrete
  • Alliance
QuickCrete is the least expensive. Alliance, sold at the same shop, is almost twice as expensive. The proprietor claims it leaves less residue film on the top of the pavers.

What do you guys think? Thx.

Andy