Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Polished concrete disaster

We are building a vacation home in Sri Lanka and we've got polished concrete walls and tile floors in the bathroom. There was a miscommunication with the tile guy and he thought we wanted a tile backsplash a few inches up the wall from the floor. This morning, I walked into my bathroom and the beautiful stained concrete walls now have 1 inch holes all along the bottom. The mason attempted a patch job (just spackling the holes the final layer of concrete) and it looks horrible.

Please, does anyone have advice about how to fix this?

Last edited by Lanka; 07-28-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Lanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

Do you have any pictures?

We have several concrete pros here---Be patient----Mike---

Old 07-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,156

wow, your english is wonderful ! its almost as if it were your primary language,,, i yam envious

ok, bathroom,,, you might consider a cove molding which's used to cover the joint where walls meet floor,,, this can be built using epoxy OR you can buy premolded stuff,,, it prevents junk buildup + provides wall protection from swing buffers,,, this may not be an acceptable ' fix ' for your tastes,,, then again, its the 1st time i've ever heard of polished conc walls.

you also could remove whatever he put into the holes & fill them w/polymer-modified conc mix which has fine aggregate,,, may have to experiment w/colors to be sure the final patch is as subtle/unnoticeable as possible.

alternatively, send me 2 round trip tickets & i'll pop over to fix it for free
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #4

Ha! Thanks for the replies so far. I am American, husband is Sri Lankan (if our marriage survives this project!!) and we work in Saudi Arabia!

Here are some photos, I hope they work this time.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,156

your english is soooooooooooo good i doubt you attended public schools in the usa but that's another thread

about all i can suggest is adding a band of colored conc at the perimeter as an accent,,, 1 more thing - cut off the hands of the guy who did this OR, at least, report him to the bbb & angie's list
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,082

That is very nice polished concrete, and I doubt you can match it exactly. Presumably the tile person though he needed holes to secure the tile, so maybe you should just install a nice tile surround, as per the tile person's "plan". Maybe an accent tile type can work.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #7

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
your english is soooooooooooo good i doubt you attended public schools in the usa but that's another thread

about all i can suggest is adding a band of colored conc at the perimeter as an accent,,, 1 more thing - cut off the hands of the guy who did this OR, at least, report him to the bbb & angie's list
New Jersey public schools all the way, baby! Cutting off appendages would be a solution in Saudi, for sure. Yeah, I was thinking of cutting off something else, because it was my husband who told the tile guy it was ok to do this, he swears I gave him the ok, which I certainly did not. Multilingual miscommunication.

Tomorrow, this will be the plan: we'll have the masons try a few different colors to patch it but I am not optimistic. We're 8 hours away from the capital city so popping over to Home Depot (if that existed here) for fancy concrete mixes is out. Failing that, we'll do the band of similar colored concrete molding with a little thickness.

The tile guy showed me what it would look like with a tile border and it was ok on the walls but not so nice around the tub and stairs. I think a concrete band will be marginally better.

I actually tossed around the idea of doing all the affected walls over again but at $2 a square foot it would be at least a few thousand dollars and we just can't swing that right now.

Will post photos of what transpires in the morning. Thanks all for all the advice and support, I really appreciate it.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,006

For what possible reason did they need to make those holes?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
For what possible reason did they need to make those holes?
My husband told them that we wanted a few inches of tile around the bottom of the wall (I most certainly did not) and they were in the middle of preparing for that when I walked in.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:32 AM   #10

Here is what the masons came up with (the ones on the left have been sanded). They said it will even better after its polished. Its not perfect, but I'm tempted to go with it.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

I would go with the repair, sometimes when it is fresh in your mind, a mistake looks glaring.

The beautiful thing about life is that as your mind gets focused on other things and you get busy doing other stuff, those glaring errors and miscalculations just tend to fade into the background.

oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldhouseguy For This Useful Post:
Lanka (07-29-2013)